Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redid my gauges.....Speedo-only conversion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redid my gauges.....Speedo-only conversion!

So my old ratbike thread got deleted since I posted it in a forum that purges threads after a set amount of time, so here's today's work.

I decided the front end of my bike was too cluttered; some things needed to go. Originally, I wanted to get rid of all the gauges, but I realistically determined a speedo would be nice to have. So here is what I ended up coming up with:

Yeah, the dent in the tank came from teachin my sis' boyfriend to ride. The bracket is made from taking the stock gauges bracket and cutting it down to a certain shape, then welding it to the backing plate of the stock speedo.......which was a FUN exercise! The back plate is the thickness of a coke can, and the bracket was 1/8" steel......so yeah....I made it work, though, and i personally think it came out pretty nice!

So what's everyone's thoughts?

Gotta luv dem rhat byks! Actually, I think they are a bit of an aquired taste and not for everybody. Simple like yours is best. Some guys go at it like a Harley riding wanna be in the Bling store, adding on any old piece of crap they can find. Scruffy but functional in a Mad Max sorta way is the way to go.

I like everything about your bike but i'm wondering if those turn signals are at the right angle. They seem to be pointing down and likely can't be seen too well from head on. Just a thought.

Now ride that mutha!

Cheers,
    Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      I like everything about your bike but i'm wondering if those turn signals are at the right angle. They seem to be pointing down and likely can't be seen too well from head on. Just a thought.
      Oh, the signals are definitely way off! With the drag bars, the controls hit the side of the tank and were starting to dent it in when at full lock. I turned the slight angle on the drag bars all the way up to keep them from hitting the tank, but I need to lay a slight bead of weld on the steering stop so it doesn't turn QUITE as far.....

That, and I don't really like the barend signals anymore. I'm considering ditching them, but haven't found a cheap, subtle, suitable replacement yet....been considering the Buell signals, though.

Comment

Drag bars can be a biotch to set up on some bikes. You probably need higher risers to keep things up & out of the way. They do look cool but I also find them uncomfortable for any more than 1/2 hour or so.

The bar end blinks are nice and functional too in that you only need the one pair to work front and back. too bad their not working for you. There are lots of aftermarket Mini type signal lights around like these:

Often you can get a set of 4 for around this price if you look around.

Mind you if you get chrome ones you'll need to scuff em and slap on some flat black:-D

Cheers,
        Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          Drag bars can be a biotch to set up on some bikes. You probably need higher risers to keep things up & out of the way. They do look cool but I also find them uncomfortable for any more than 1/2 hour or so.
          You're tellin me! I rode about 6.5 hours home from Florida this past summer on that bike...combine the cramped position from the lower seat and the drag bars and my and wrists were in hell! It's extremely fun for haulin @$$ on twisty roads, though \\/

Longer rides? That's why I had to buy the 750 :-D

Comment

Very nice. I like the set up. Functional and it still looks better than the original setup

Comment

Tidy job, looks great.

I thought your front end was having a foot spa for a minute tho :-D

Comment

Looks real sharp. I agree that the turn signals don't quite fit. Maybe just take them off and use hand signals?

Comment

Working...
                X