Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The learning curve continues...

G'day all,

Thought I'd share the last few day's tank painting experience with my Kat1100...

Ever since I bought the bike, the tank was up for replacement. It had about 2kg of filler in the upper right section of the tank, and the original offset filler cap had been replaced by a centrally-positioned Kawasaki flush-fitting filler cap. Just didn't look right, IMO.

So I've had a spare tank undercoated and prepped for some time, sitting up there on the shelf on the garage. Not having ready access to a decent compressor, I thought I'd just do it with colour-matched cans of aerosol acrylic paint.

This would have worked fine, but for the fact that we have had such hot weather here recently (eg. 38degC = 100degF today) that the paint droplets wouldn't 'merge' properly on the prepped surface. Darn it.

So when it was dry I gave it some 'wet & dry' to try and smooth out the fine dimpled look the surface had acquired, and then took a punt that a couple of generous coats of clear lacquer would smooth things out.

Well, by now a few of you veteran painters here will be shaking your heads in grim amusement. Of course it hasn't resulted in a smooth finish... but it will have to do for now. Not one of my more worthy efforts in DIY-land, but the occasional stuff-up is all part of the learning curve.

So, what would I do next time? Well, it might just be that painting is not one of my talents, and I should just farm it out to the experts, and pay for the privilege.

But not before I try it again, on a cooler day!

Stay cool yourselves,
    Mike.

Surprising how many of these glorious old girls are still around.Here's mine loaded for the run down to Phillip Island last year.Spotted an absolute gem on the island but couldn't find the owner(a chicky babe I think).Cheers,Simon.\\/

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Now THAT is a nice old bus, mate -- well done. ;-)

Comment

Well,thank you sir.The BM is going now that the GS bug has bitten.I missed another 'S on E Bay at Chrissy,but am eying a '76(?) 750 that has been badly neglected.I'll bring it back to pristine for Mumma Bear(if old mate doesn't want too much.See you at the Island this year?We've both got the same distance to ride(4100 km for me).Meet you in the middle.Cheers,Simon.\\/

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I dunno if your spray paint is different from the stuff we get here in the states but I've found that most of it (maybe all?) is not gasoline resistant. Be very, very careful filling your tank!

Comment

Thanks for the info. there, robertob. No, the paint isn't gasoline resistant, you're right. But the clear coat should be; and I gave it a few extra coats around the filler area for good measure.

I'm sure that if I get motivated, and do some more wet & dry sanding followed by more clear coat, that it will all smooth out OK in the end. The question is, can I be bothered...

And Simon, I'd love to go to Phillip Island this year, but I'm afraid I'm right out of cookie points with the missus, courtesy of an imminent trip to Peru. Have a beer on my behalf when you get down to the race!

Cheers,
            Mike.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Rattle can clear normally doesn't hold up too well to gas, either.
              (Maybe if you flush it with water after contact with solvent).
              In any case, gas will eat under the edges, like around the gas cap and petcock, causing damage to spread.

Comment

Working...
              X