Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side cover cracks gs 850g

Hi,

Can anyone help me with repairing cracks to the top of side covers on a gs850g. I have been told it is caused by the seat sagging.
    See attached photo.

Thanks

I read somewhere (here?) that cracks in plastic can be repaired by wicking Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylate) into the crack before sprinkling baking soda on it. I'll be giving this procedure a try this week on the side covers on my GK.
    Good luck,
    Willie in TN
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

In the RSA we can buy a product called Q-Bond. It consists of two containers with a type of superglue and two containers with something like a fine sugar type powder in it. You just put a line of this powder over the crack and then drip the super glue on the powder and within about 10 seconds a chemical reaction starts and the crack is fixed and the stuff binds to plastic like nothing else.
      See it on this link: http://rccapetown.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=243
      Maybe there is something similar available on your side.

Comment

I just repaired mine, I used Karfill car bog. Mine were fairly broken so just filled the cracdks up then sanded back and repainted. Very easily done.

Comment

I recently did some repair on an old Vetter fairing using ABS glue from the pluming section at the local big box, Home Depot in my case.
          A small can was less than $5. It's pre-mixed and thick enough to be somewhat self-levelling, just smear it on. It works by "melting" in to the part being repaired. I wouldn't use anymore than necessary, it dries very hard and would take a while to sand it down

Comment

ABS Glue

That is really handy!!! \\/

Comment

Thanks for your replies and ideas.

In Australia we have similar glues. I have just used a type of superglue that looks like it has melted into the plastic and bonded it. I'm gunna see how it goes.

Keep you posted.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X