Helmet Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet Paint

Has anyone here tried custom spraying a helmet? I know the MFG say don't do it but I've also heard of people having success (look at the racer's lids...)

Any recommendations as to what I should use? I guess I need some kind of plastic paint to allow for a bit of flex in the surface.

I plan to just scuff the clearcoat on the helmet & go right over the top with a gloss....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Is your helmet injection molded plastic or fiberglass? That would make a difference as to what type of paint one would use.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I've used auto enamel , laquer , model airplane colors , t shirt type paint (createx with binder and hardener) , as well as lettering enamel. All worked, although, be choosy on the clearcoat. I once used some rattlecan clear and ayear later the whole helmet was suffering from crazing and cracking. a pity too because the helmet was a wrap around ocean scene with dolphins jumping in the back, fishes, seahorses, starfish, etc. And on top was a sun and full moon ringed by clouds, with sunbeams striking the surface of the water at different places.

Comment

On the DoTheTon forums there's an admin that's into painting helmets. Maybe he can give you the finer points of it. His name is loco leon i think. His stuff looks pretty good BUT he does mostly vintage paint jobs

Comment

We've covered this in great detail here before. If you like your head DON'T paint your helmet. The paint will weaken the structure of it. In most 'western' countries painting of motorcycle helmets is actually illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            We've covered this in great detail here before. If you like your head DON'T paint your helmet. The paint will weaken the structure of it. In most 'western' countries painting of motorcycle helmets is actually illegal.
            I think it depends on the type of paint used. Paints with lots of solvent that bites down into the old paint layers, and into the substrate in the case of a helmet, are to be avoided. This is particularly important in the case of a plastic helmet. A less aggressive paint, on a fiberglass helmet, should be fine. Helmets come from the factory with paint as evidence of this. Problem is knowing what kind of paint to use. I'd try to find someone that paints this kind of thing for a living to find out what they use - follow Ironriot's suggestion for a start.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The issue is not it damaging the hard outer layer of the helmet. This is only what holds the helmet together. The styrofoam underneath is what saves your brain. Styrofoam is many little sealed bubbles of gas. When you expose it to solvent, the walls are weakened and destroyed. Anyone who has ever dropped styrofoam into gasoline to make crude napalm knows this. (I once saw someone try to transport gasoline in a styrofoam cup - now that was funny).

The same thing happens when you smash your head into the pavement, the bubbles rupture, releasing energy, that would otherwise go straight to your skull.

In either case, the helmet should not be "used" to protect your brain, because it is not very useful.

The helmet will still work in the sense that it will distribute the force over a broader area of your head, but it will not help to slow your head down within the 1" between you and the pavement.
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I emailed SHOEI about painting my ugly helmet

THIS IS THE RESPONSE FROM SHOEI
                (formatting is off because it is stored in my PDA)

We at Shoei North America recommend professional painters and it is always important to get the advice of a professional painter before painting your helmet, but this is what is recommended. You do not want to remove any lower vents or rubber beading on the helmet though they should be taped off to avoid getting unwanted paint on them. The helmet should also be lightly sanded just to remove the clear coat on the outer layer of the helmet. The only paint recommended on a Shoei
                helmet is acrylic enamel based paint. When drying the helmet do not use a high heat drying method as it may damage the protective quality of the Polystyrene liner on the inside of your helmet.

Shoei Helmet Corp.

Comment

The one thing I'd worry about is the paint prep fumes destroying the stryofoam. Those fumes are killer. I have a high tolerance for strong smells but even I can't stand them. To the best of my knowledge those fumes are made up from the chemicals which are known to eat through foam. Maybe after you sand the clear coat off just wash it with warm water and soap. Don't use paint prep liquids.

Comment

This has been brought up before. I did some research, and I think that with a little care and prep you will be fine. Paint in a ventilated area and mask off your helmet's interior to start with.

This was my more lengthy reply:

Comment

Thanks guys, this is on a Nolan, really nice helmet at a great price but the colour (metallic silver) is not visible enough for me...

I want to turn it bright yellow (or actually some kind of vintage, maybe yellow with black or silver centre stripes or something).

The helmet is not polycarb, it's some kind of fibreglass composite.

Here's the link: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=
                      • Snell and DOT certified
                      • Painted lightweight composite fiber shell (Carbon, Kevlar, Kural & fiberglass), with Hi-Brite protective clear coat
                      • Optically correct, tool-less quick-change Lexan face shield
                      • All shields offer total UV protection
                      • Multi-position anti-scratch flat racing shield; ready for NFR antifog insert and equipped with tear-off pins
                      • Two position air intakes with aerodynamic ventilation system
                      • Integrated chin bar vents
                      • Fully removable and washable interior on snaps and tabs
                      • Removable cheekpads
                      • Velour chin strap padding
                      • Sanitized anti-microbial hypoallergenic interior
                      • Double D-ring retention system
                      • Weight of medium helmet 3lb. 15oz.

I would have got a bright one but I really don't like those bright busy helmets that most of them do. Now we are seeing retro bikes it's about time we saw some retro lids....

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Use AutoAir http://www.autoaircolors.com/ then have the local paint pro throw down some uro clear. Did this for a buddy racing...he likes attention

Here's a useful site for painthelp http://www.kustomkulturelounge.com/forum/

Comment

hehe - I won't be replicating that paint job!!
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            hehe - I won't be replicating that paint job!!
                            HAHA nobody should! He has a "look at me" defect!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                              On the DoTheTon forums there's an admin that's into painting helmets. Maybe he can give you the finer points of it. His name is loco leon i think. His stuff looks pretty good BUT he does mostly vintage paint jobs
                              Noel...he is a bit loco for sure..lol They call him the "Destroyer of NOS" because he thinks nothing of cutting up a perfect NOS seat pan or tank to build something out of it. He catches all kinda flack for what he does to his vintage helmets...some of them do look kinda cool tho IMO and its his stuff so to each his own...

Comment

Working...
                              X