Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repair/replace muffler dent

hey all,

i just received notice today that my 81 gs650e was approved for collectors status - yay!

they do, however, want me to repair a dent in the right side muffler.
    is there anyone out there with tips on how to do this, or would it be best to replace both sides with new ones?
    i'm guessing finding a nice shiny original muffler might be a little difficult... i know headers are tough to come by but are the mufflers model specific also?

any help/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2008, 04:51 PM. Reason: added pics

Show it to a panelbeater, get a quote. It is relatively easy IF you have the skill. It will however need re-chroming afterwards.

Dink

Comment

With all of that trouble, I'd probably just look on ebay or craigslist for a replacement.
      It is amazing what is out there. A few years ago I found a complete exhaust system for an old Kawa I had for $150. It was NOS, never been on a bike.

Comment

if i was to try find a replacement, does anyone know if it needs to be from the same year/model? i'm thinking it might be easier to find something that looks the same and get them cut/welded back on but i want to be sure...

Comment

The main reason I suggest getting yours repaired is that the GS650E is rare & to the best of my knowledge not interchangable with much.

Dink

Comment

good to know, thanks mate

Comment

I recently helped a new rider purchase and bring back to life an 82 GS650E. The results are very similiar to your GS, black paint scheme etc. The header pipes were in nice shape but the mufflers were rotted. After looking for replacement pipes online and finding that they were generally not in the condition that would compliment the bike and finding rechroming in our area is too expensive, we found generic after market mufflers. They are commonly carried in most smaller shops in various styles and lengths. Purchased a pair for less than $100. The factory pipes have a crossover between the right and left side, and are all one piece. With the existing pipes left in place,and after removing the heat shields, we used a recipricating saw and chopped off the mufflers. Fitted up the new mufflers and had the joint welded.(found that the clamping system provided always had some leakage) The heat shields when back on cover the weld. The result looked stock , sounds good and runs great. Once settled on how to do the job it took about half a day.

Comment

Working...
              X