What is this fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this fairing?

I just picked up this 81 1100 and I am trying to find out what this fairing might be. It uses the stock headlight bucket attached to the inside and looks to use the stock mirrors. Has anybody seen one of these before?
    Thanks for looking.

Glenn

Second view

Comment

Kawasaki GPZ ?
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Yep its gpz900R :-D

Comment

Woulda been easier if it was red.........

Yea GPZ fairing.........not as good looking as a GS-S
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for the ID, I was hoping that it was some kind of Suzuki part but it looks ok on the bike. Now I have to wash off 6 years of basement dust from the last owner. Then make it run, thankfully they drained the tank and carbs.

Comment

?

Thought it would be off the touring range of Kawa's like a GT. The headlight looks too big for a GPZ900

Comment

My guess is that its a Greer "Mach 1". I have one on my Nighthawk 700S. I have the lowers too. I bought one direct from Greer for a 700S I had in the late 80s. I had such regret after selling the bike that I told myself I'd buy another 700S if I could find another Greer to fit one. It was quite a few yrs later, but I found one in pretty bad shape on ebay. I bought it even though I didn't have a 700S to mount it on. I eventually bought another 700S, painted the fairing to match and mounted it. Great fairing, in my opinion.
                Willie in TN
                Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Another possibility is a little more obscure than the GPZ fairing.

Would anyone be surprised to learn that I happen to have the June, 1980 edition of Motorcyclist magazine which happens to have a touring fairing buyer's guide? :shock:

Here is one of the fairings that looks rather close. Might it might have even been the inspiration for the Kaw fairing?
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sure looks like a GPZ900 fairing to me.

Comment

I've been looking for a small frame mount fairing

... to put on my 19798 GS 1000. Any recommendations as to what might work?
                      1979 GS 1000

Comment

I agree with Willie - it's a Greer. They offered this with round and square headlights iirc. You can tell it's not a Kawi gpz by the fact that it doesn't have the indentations for the turn signals to mount on either side of the headlight.

Hugh

Comment

Working...
                        X