84 GS550ES rear shock compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS550ES rear shock compatability

Hi everyone, I am presently building up a 84 550ES for my girlfriend and not to surprisingly, the rear shock is pretty much shot. The remote preload adjustment is completely non functional and I can assume that there is not a lot left to the shocks dampening.

But I digress, I have searched around and have read that the ~2000 GSXR 600 shock would be a bolt on replacement but there are some issues with it. Can someone tell me if there is a ride height change after the shock is replaced? Also is there and interference between the centerstand and the remote reservoir on the GSXR shock?

Thanks for looking!!

Damn, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section. Stupid me. Mods, could you please help out a new guy to the board and move this where ever you see fit.

Comment

I haven't been here that long, but I can't recall the mods ever moving a thread.

Anyways, I put a '99 gsxr 600 shock on my '85 550ES. The shock has to go in upside down, as you know, but on my bike there was enough clearance to turn it around, so the gas reservoir faces the tire. It may have something to do with the combination of sprockets and chain. Then it doesn't interfere with the centerstand at all. It increased the ride height a little bit--I'd say 1-2".

The other thing is you have to grind down the top of the shock. The linkage will just touch the airbox a bit when the shock is fully extended, but that hasn't become a problem.

It felt like a big improvement when I put it on in January, and then in the last few weeks the rear end felt imprecise in turns if I didn't have perfect throttle & braking technique. I bumped up the preload and rebound damping a little and now it is much more tolerant of imperfect technique, like the original shock was.

It made the bike feel 10 mph slower on a fast bumpy road I often take outside of town, so that is a good thing.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! This is the exact information that I needed.

Comment

Working...
        X