Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone mounted a snowboard rack on their gs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone mounted a snowboard rack on their gs?

I was thinking of heading up to whistler and want to save the gas that my v8 pickup burns by taking my bike. Anyone heard of a highway safe setup for a rack on a gs? I'm a little drunk, which is why this may sound like a good idea....

you could make one that sort of acts like a sidecar.

Cory

Comment

Im sure a ski resort of that caliber has buses picking people up.

You could locate the bus and tie a rope to the back and snowboard the ditches all the way there. Yes, Im drunk too. :shock:
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If there is enough snow around to consider using a snowboard, getting there on only two wheels might not be the best choice. :shock:

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

All fabulous ideas, but I should clarify that I won't be careening up the snowy peak on my bike, but commuting from vancouver island via the lovely and terrifically expensive bc ferries. My friend will be driving us up in his van once I get to the mainland.

The sidecar idea is what I've been thinking. I've heard of guys taking their surfboards to the beach on motorcycles, but since it will likely be happening on friday, a bungee and duct tape job may be what I'm in for. The bus is looking more and more appealing....

Comment

Use a rear passenger peg to bolt on a lower bracket, then use the bolt holes for the underseat grab bar to bolt on two upper brackets to hold the top in place then use cinch straps rather than bungee cords to secure your board. Cinch straps won't stretch like bungees and will hold the board in a secure position.

PS How much is the ferry for a bike?
            Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: add a ?

Comment

Thats a good idea clone. I have a 4/1 exhaust so there's a spare bolt hole on the left I could use too. My bindings are "step in's" so there is no huge heel support, keeps the board thinner on the bike. I think it will be a head turner as much as anything...

The ferry, last time I took it was last summer, probably upped the prices since then, is $20 for the bike, $11 per person. At almost $40 for a car, the the round trip savings are substantial.

Comment

I would put it flat on the pillion seat, crosswise like an airplane wing. Tie it down tight, be careful about strange aerodynamic effects while going really fast, it should be OK at reasonable speeds.

The vertical thing would scare me due to the rudder effect with crosswinds or blasts of air from trucks.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Or, strap it on your feet and ride side saddle.
                  Best of both whirls.

Comment

I guess you wouldn't survive on the prairies or in the foothills where crosswinds are 60-70km/hr. Upright wouldn't bother me, the side surface would be about equivalent to carrying a passenger, laying it on the seat wouldn't be very secure and it would be more susceptable to cross winds as it would lift one side of the board. Upright like a golf bag would be the way to go.

Comment

You guys better lay off the juice.

Comment

I don't think the crosswind will be too much of an issue either, I sort of mocked it up, and it doesn't go above my head, and my board is a 163. I think it should really work quite well. It almost has an easy rider style exhaust look to it, in a much flatter and less noisy kind of way. The flat wing sounds even more terrifying to me, that and I might misjudge the width and sever a pedestrian while cranking it around a corner. I'll try and post some pic's when all is said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post

the side surface would be about equivalent to carrying a passenger
                          Um, passengers are round?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                          X