Side cover replacements anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side cover replacements anyone?

I have an '81 750L that I just broke off the mounting stud for the left side cover.
    Wondering if anyone has fabricated any side covers of their own?
    Don't mind buying replacement ones but thought something custom would be nice. (Especially if the stud is going to break off on me again)

A lot of chopper guys fab them out of diamond plate sheet metal...

Comment

If you mean the plastic mounting "nubby" thing near the bottom of the side cover snapped off, here's a fix for that. Get some JB Weld, mix it up and apply generously to the cover area where the nub came off and the nub itself. Basically you want to use the JB Weld to glue the nub back on. By adding extra JB Weld around the break to reinforce the area it provides a permanent fix. At least I can attest. I fixed one this way 8 years ago and have removed and replaced the cover a hundred times, still strong as ever, stronger than original I'd say.

Comment

OR,,,,,

Look at this.

I found this maybe on here. Nice picture tutorial.

Scott

Comment

Speakin of sidecovers, has anybody come across a homemade way to replace those little rubber grommets that hold the aforementioned nub in place?

Why in the hell my PO TWO of them out, I'll never know...

Comment

Now that is a helpful webpage.......I just may have to try that at home........

Originally posted by Scotts View Post
            OR,,,,,

Look at this.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scotts View Post
              OR,,,,,

Look at this.

Scott
              Yeah, but this doesn't help much for the sidecovers that are on my bike.
              Mine are just studs that are molded into the cover itself.
              Gonna try the jb-weld technique and see how that turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by uudfourty View Post
                Speakin of sidecovers, has anybody come across a homemade way to replace those little rubber grommets that hold the aforementioned nub in place?

Why in the hell my PO TWO of them out, I'll never know...
                You can buy them new from Bikebandit or Flatout or anywhere like that...

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I repaired a broken-off nub with jb weld and it didn't last. Maybe I didn't use enough. Who knows? I ended up ordering a plastex kit, molding an existing numb, and casting a new one. Has worked great, and that plastex is useful stuff for all kinds of plastic repair. (Cracks, etc.)

Comment

Pictures and everything

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
                    I have an '81 750L that I just broke off the mounting stud for the left side cover.
                    Wondering if anyone has fabricated any side covers of their own?
                    Mr. Matchless has fabricated his own sidecovers. He's got a "how to" on my little BikeCliff website. It may help you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Adhesive backed velcro is a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                        A lot of chopper guys fab them out of diamond plate sheet metal...
                        That's what I did for my 'Cafe Pig'. It's very easy.

Beergood made some on his 'cafe baby' as well. I think he just used sheet tin and painted it.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

For the original side covers on my 1100 I've also used super glue mixed with a plastic powder that is specially designed for plastic repairs. It sets like concrete and never breaks. I'll see if I can dig up the product name.

Comment

Found it - http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBA...4226&P=2027380

This on an Aussie website but you can probably find it locally. It is a powder that reacts with the superglue and is brilliant on plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                              Adhesive backed velcro is a lot easier.
                              That won't work in Texas, in May the temps get high and the glue on even the industrial velcro let go, and then your side cover would be along side the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X