Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im addicted to mods! I couldnt help it..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im addicted to mods! I couldnt help it..

I think that I may have a problem. I took a perfectly beautiful 82 GS1100G and I modded it! Please dont hate me, its a disease....It was sitting there, and me being me ( THE CafeKid dontcha know) and i had tools, and i started looking at it....next thing i knew, it was done!

What do you think??

The only thing I wanna know is, how do allyou skinny guys get these 600 pound bikes up on their centerstands? Every time I try, i manage to start leaning on one side and finally give up before dumping the bike over.

Comment

Actually, im NOT skinny (6'4 260lbs) and its a PITA on this particular bike, because there is no grab bar. However, a lil trick taught to me by our fellow GSR Steve, seems to work, even on this bike. You lean the bike upright, push down on the centre stand till you feel both feel hit equally, then STAND on it while lifting on the bars and the grab bar, or in this case, the bottom of the shock. Takes a lil practice on the GSs but once you get it down, its cake.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Actually, im NOT skinny (6'4 260lbs) and its a PITA on this particular bike, because there is no grab bar. However, a lil trick taught to me by our fellow GSR Steve, seems to work, even on this bike. You lean the bike upright, push down on the centre stand till you feel both feel hit equally, then STAND on it while lifting on the bars and the grab bar, or in this case, the bottom of the shock. Takes a lil practice on the GSs but once you get it down, its cake.
        ya, i actually stand next to the bike, and lean back in a fast hard motion. takes a couple tries usually, i'll have to try that.

also, i think it looks fine! and now i know what the viper fairing would look like on mine! even though the colour is a little different

Comment

Nice! What size headlight is that for?

Comment

CafeKid gave a good description of how to get the bike on its centerstand. It's been years since I had one on my bike but that is essentially how I went about it. Push down hard on the centerstand after making sure both sides of it are hitting the ground, then pull with the left hand on the handlebar and grab something at the rear of the bike and pull. Heavy pressure on the centerstand helps roll the bike up onto it.

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
              Nice! What size headlight is that for?
              if it's stock, i believe it's 8'' .. at least thats what mine is, i have the same year/model.

Comment

Its for a 7incher. Fits nicely, tho im kinda disappointed in the worksmanship of the fairing itself. I had to leave one of the windshield screws out because the holes didnt line up right, and it wanted torque on the thing and make it higher on one side. Its a temporary fairing untill i can pick up an actually Cooley fairing from Airtech.

Seuadr: It will work, like i said it just takes practice. Steve taught me to do it on his umpteen hundred pound Goldwing, and it went up on the stand with amazingly little effort.

Comment

Looks great. I measured my headlight ring the other night and it came in at 9-1/2 inches O.D. I suppose we're to go by the actual headlight diameter and not the ring?

I'd love one of those for my E, but have considered just going with a sport windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
                    Looks great. I measured my headlight ring the other night and it came in at 9-1/2 inches O.D. I suppose we're to go by the actual headlight diameter and not the ring?

I'd love one of those for my E, but have considered just going with a sport windshield.
                    i didn't have the ring assembly, so i measured straight across the bucket.

Comment

Paulyboy, make sure the bike is in neutral and follow Cafekid's instructions. I'm 140 lbs soaking wet and I don't have any problems getting the bikes on the center stand. Had an '83 1100GLD and I currently have an '80 1000G and an '80 1100ET.

Cafekid, NICE bike man. I hate to plead ignorance here, but what mods ???? I see a nice fairing but I'm not seeing any mods dude. Stock pipe, stock carbs, stock brake lines, stock handlebars and mirrors. Hell man, you're still running the stock air box and shocks for crying out loud. Call me "We Todd Dead" but I'm just not seeing it. Don't get me wrong, that is one fine looking machine you've got, you lucky dog, I just have a more radical sense of mod is all.

Comment

I think it looks pretty good. ..

Not bad for a little skinny dude :-D

Comment

That is a clean bike!!

Comment

Don, I think the Kid was being sarcastic in his original post.

TCK - very nice, although it would look awesome if it was colour matched. That sure is a sweet looking bike. Just make sure you don't go reaching for the grinder. LOL

BTW - the centrestand description is spot on. I put all my weight on the stand as I lift under the seat. The bike rolls backwards slightly and 'up she goes'.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                              Don, I think the Kid was being sarcastic in his original post.

TCK - very nice, although it would look awesome if it was colour matched. That sure is a sweet looking bike. Just make sure you don't go reaching for the grinder. LOL

BTW - the centrestand description is spot on. I put all my weight on the stand as I lift under the seat. The bike rolls backwards slightly and 'up she goes'.
                              Indeed Zooks, It was a bit of a scare tactic for the purists (which i must admit i find myself getting to sorta be one in some respects) And it certainly would look good colour matched. You cant see it in the pic (on purpose) but there is a ding in the tank that will need fixed and painted, so i figure when i get that done, I will get the fairing painted too. Eventually, when i can wrangle up a second set of body work, it will be a spin on "What if Wes Cooley had a G?" But i wont ruin the perfectly stock body work to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X