new? idea for bobber/lowered bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new? idea for bobber/lowered bikes

I've been thinking lately of those that want a bobber style bike, and not give up the rear suspension. A lot of us seem to like a rear fender that hugs the rear tire more than the gaudy original fenders that sit a mile above. This is really mostly for shafties, but couls probably work with other bikes too. Most bobber guys end up switching out their seats, mostly for a solo seat. My idea is to mount the fender with small metal "struts" or stays, to the swingarm on one side, and the axle tube on the other, thereby having a fender that will "float" independently of the frame. That way, you could set a fender to hug the rear tire, and as it went over bumps, the tire and fender would move together, so there wouldn't be any chance of them colliding if you lowered the bike. Any feedback?

It's called a rear hugger, and sportbikes utilize it alot, works good for not splashing mud everywhere, go ahead and try it out.

Comment

Only problem I see is when you eventually have to remove the swingarm. I would suggest making the fender removeable as well, maybe at the base where it mounts to the swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by GSBuilder View Post
        It's called a rear hugger, and sportbikes utilize it alot, works good for not splashing mud everywhere, go ahead and try it out.
        One of the other reasons they use it is airflow management through the bike. An open, spinning wheel really messes up the ability to extract hot air from the engine area. The hugger cleans that up and helps out flow.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Only problem I see is when you eventually have to remove the swingarm. I would suggest making the fender removeable as well, maybe at the base where it mounts to the swingarm.
          Yeah, Josh, I agree. I was thinking along the lines of making the stays so they would bolt on and off, but be firmly attached to the fender itself. That way, as you said, it could be moved out of the way for repairs, swapouts, etc.

Comment

You do that and it will look pretty damn slick. My cafe project came to me with a bit of the same idea, tho a lil poorly executed. Its since been removed, since this is a CAFE and not a bobber But the lines it made looked pretty cool.

Comment

You and cole

doin okay with those parts? Hwo did the rear wheel/final drive turn out?

Comment

Well the final was just for a spare. The rear will work out just fine Havent mounted it yet, as i spent monday working on the cafe, then mondaynight/early tues morning at the hospital with a kidney stone Joy. But yessir, they'll do just nicely!! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Well the final was just for a spare. The rear will work out just fine Havent mounted it yet, as i spent monday working on the cafe, then mondaynight/early tues morning at the hospital with a kidney stone Joy. But yessir, they'll do just nicely!! Thanks again!
                  Your a little young to get "stoned". Must be a big coffee drinker, huh?Glad to hear about the Cafe bike. 20 years from now you'll look at that as your original liitle child, since your kind of raising it right now. As it was said in "Mortal Kombat"- "Treasure these moments........"

Comment

Coffee? Kidney stones?
                    Did I miss a memo?

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                      I've been thinking lately of those that want a bobber style bike, and not give up the rear suspension. A lot of us seem to like a rear fender that hugs the rear tire more than the gaudy original fenders that sit a mile above. This is really mostly for shafties, but couls probably work with other bikes too. Most bobber guys end up switching out their seats, mostly for a solo seat. My idea is to mount the fender with small metal "struts" or stays, to the swingarm on one side, and the axle tube on the other, thereby having a fender that will "float" independently of the frame. That way, you could set a fender to hug the rear tire, and as it went over bumps, the tire and fender would move together, so there wouldn't be any chance of them colliding if you lowered the bike. Any feedback?
                      Post some pics when/if you do this. I would be interested in seeing how it turns out perhaps trying it myself some day!

Comment

I've got a leftover chrome fender at home and I'm thinking of starting on something like this this month. I think, in following TCK's advice, what I'll do is to mount the stays at their bottoms with the type of rubber insulated clamps you can use with a screw to screw them together. I'd use that same screw to attach the bottom of the stay, and then paint it to blend in to the swingarm (semi gloss black). That way, it's removeable yet should hold sturdily enough, and the rubber would be a little vibration dampener from the road vibration. If I use a stay on either side about midships on the fender, then attach the front of it to the front of the swingarm just ahead of the tire, that should work well.

Comment

Did you ever do this? For that matter has anyone ever done this? I have an 83 GS650L that I'm working on. I'm wanting to do something very similar with my bike's rear fender. Any pics or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X