Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G1100 View Post
    heres my project with out the new exhaust system on, ill post some after pics when its mounted.

is that an isuzu impulse?????

Comment

frog syle

kinda like a frog, acually it is kinda cumfy you end up naurally being wraped around the tank , kinda like rideing a cafe bike
      Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2009, 09:52 PM. Reason: fun

Comment

Originally posted by robotkillerbees View Post
        kinda like a frog, acually it is kinda cumfy you end up naurally being wraped around the tank , kinda like rideing a cafe bike
        You need a rear fender! Otherwise when your done riding, You'll have a bunch of crap on your back. Also if you slide off the seat and land on the tire, your balls are going to hurt for a long time, believe me, its painfull enough on a bmx bike when that happens.

Comment

cost efective

it has a rear fender , i dont really want kids and the price of vasictimy's is so high these days i might take it off. and go that rought insted

Comment

it has a rear fender , i dont really want kids and the price of vasictimy's is so high these days i might take it off. and go that rought insted
            you must have short legs, I could kiss my knees riding in that position!

Comment

In a strange sort of way your bike is kinda cool..

Comment

right on

thanks . i made it this way because its feels like your rideing a engine down the road. a true diamond in the rough

Comment

Originally posted by man8woman View Post
                  This is the start of my 81 gs850.
                  Is your tail light that Triumph/BSA replica tail light. I've been looking at that as a way to get rid of my big rectangular one as well as my rear fender.

Comment

Building The Evil Twin

[IMG]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr210/maxparso/Familysnaps015.jpg[/IM

I think I’ve finally been dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age and I will now be able to give you words and pictures.
                    This is a picture of The Dirty Old Pig before leaving for Darwin 4.000ks away.It was 25 years old but as usual gave not an ounce of trouble. It is the best bike I've ever owned and has never let me down.It is the good twin but this is the story of The Evil Twin. The Evil Twin was built over a period of 14 years and has cost the equivalent of 4 beers a week over this period and whatever could go wrong has gone wrong. My never ending sagas prove that if you just keep throwing time and money into your project you will eventually finish it and be happy with the results. For many years I had wanted to build a bike that resembled a 1970's endurance racer with an alloy tank and seat and I got my start when my apprentice bought a GS1000 6 months after I bought TDOP.I simply took it home and gave him what he paid for it.
                    Starting with the frame,I cut off the bits I didn’t want and welded on a few brackets I did want and it was ready for the powder coater.I hate that man! He did a great job on my trail bike frame and I asked for the same high standard which I didn’t get.He did such a bad job that we agreed he would have another go at it. His next effort was worse and I should have refused to pay but instead I took it home and used it. No one else ever notices it but I know it could be better so it annoys me.I did get the Moto Martin swingarm looking good by polishing it by hand with cutting compound. You watch a lot of TV in the time it takes to polish a powder coated swingarm.I used stainless steel bolts and polished everyone of them because it fills in a lot of time while saving for parts.
                    The wider than standard rims were imported to Oz pre drilled and the rear wheel needed redrilling and heavier stainless steel spokes to match the Suzuki pattern.Nothing looks better than polished alloy wheels.The front wheel is 18’’ so I fitted a GS750 mudguard spaced to fit.I planned to have twin front brakes but one of the RF600 calipers I bought was NFG so I used the one good caliper and I think the disc is off a GS750.I made the caliper bracket by bolting the round bar to the caliper,bolting the mount to the forks and then used air pressure to clamp the pads onto the disc while the round bars were welded to the mount. It worked perfectly.The master cylinder is off a DR250 and the lever is s/steel.It was easy to make,start with an angle grinder progress to a bench grinder then a die grinder and grind away everything that doesn’t resemble a lever.Finish by polishing.I didn’t use a tacho because I never look at it anyway.The front forks are fitted with Race Tech springs and gold valves which improve the suspension and maintain the period look.
                    The rear disc was turned down smaller and skimmed thinner then fitted with a DR250 front caliper because I reckon they’re over braked on the rear.I had rearsets and low bars but these were dumped in favour of some comfort.The electrics were mounted under the tank and seat to tidy things up.The headers are Tranzac and I used them because they’re made in Oz, he’s a good bloke and you can get to your oil filter.I used the Wileyco muffler because I got it really cheap.
                    It took me years to track down someone to make my tank and seat and he is a great bloke.Not only did he let me hang around and watch while he made the seat,which took 14 hours using nothing but a hammer and dolly but he also agreed to help me make a tank by myself for my next project.The tank didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted but I can live with that.He lives in a place called Kinglake which was recently destroyed in massive bushfires which killed nearly 200 people and while he was lucky and managed to save himself and his house he did lose 10 veteran and vintage bikes.The sad story is his 86year old mate Jack who lost his house and the 40 old pommie bikes he has restored over the last 50 years.His aim now is to get one bike restored before he’s too old.The ironic story was the younger bloke who lost his 40 vintage MX bikes but managed to save his Hyosung that he rides to work. I know of at least 100 old bikes that were lost in the disaster.
                    As I was about to start building the motor a bike turned up with just the motor I wanted.It had a 1070 Wiseco kit,mild cams,an 8 plug head,flatslide carbies,dyna ignition,undercut gears and a beefed up clutch.I did some miles on it to make sure it was sound but I ended up very disappointed when it started belching smoke after a couple of thousand k’s. Stripping the motor revealed that 3 of the piston pins had worked their way out and had destroyed the barrel. Amazingly the circlips were still in the pistons.We can’t believe it was Wiseco’s mistake,so we’ve put it down to the builder using the wrong circlips. A replacement barrel and some Teflon buttons and the motor seems fine. Rapidray will tell us what was wrong.The flatslide carbies are still causing me headaches but I’ll keep throwing time and money at them until I get them sorted.The carbies are off a GSXR750 and I read that you have to use larger pilot jets because the GS doesn’t create enough airflow with the throttle shut, does anyone know if that’s right?
                    My biggest headache has been the wiring.I drew up my own wiring diagram and had it checked by the towns grumpy old auto electrician.I was about 50k’s from home when it stopped.Getting it home revealed a molten mess that used to be wire,a dyna coil that had cracked like an egg and trigger units that were starting to melt.I blame him and he blames me.Sadly we’re probably both right.I’ve gone back to points now,they’re cheaper and they help, along with the wire wheels,to date the older GS’s as a sort of missing link between my old Trumpy and modern bikes.
                    If I get this right and the words and pictures both go through I’ll post some more photos.

G]

Comment

wow!

max parsons

that thing looks AWSOME! you have done an amazing job and i aplod your efforts really fantastic job!

Comment

Originally posted by devauxr View Post
                        Is your tail light that Triumph/BSA replica tail light. I've been looking at that as a way to get rid of my big rectangular one as well as my rear fender.
                        It's a bikers choice cat eye led even has the white led's for the plate light .

Comment

Max Parsons. That is super nice!! that tank and seat are by themselves works of art

Comment

nice bike max, welcome to the internet

Comment

Total coolness there, mate! What an effort. I'd like to know more about the exhaust system.
                              Hugh

Comment

My 5th GS

This one refuses to act it's age (52k mi.)

81 GS1100e
                                83 GS1100e
                                67 Norton P11(someday soon I'm gonna kick it alive and ride it!)
                                A couple of KZ400's
                                Be Here Now Until You're There Then

Comment

Working...
                                X