• Show
Clear All

80-81 ??

mystery bike

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
      80-81 ??

mystery bike
      +1. And where did the spokes come from? What size tires are you running?
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Mystery bike?.....hah-hah!
        It's an 81 with '79 GS750 rear rim (18 in.), '80 GS1000 front rim, the headlight from my '82 1100e (crashed-but not by me), and yes the Kawa twin-pot brake upgrade with cbr900 rotors, stops on that dime and hands me 9 cents change, Stage One kit and a canyon-barker of a MAC pipe.

I've lurking on this site for about 9 yrs now and finally figgered out how to post. Thank you BassCliff.

And many thanks to everyone on this forum for all the wisdom, knowledge and laughs.
        81 GS1100e
        83 GS1100e
        67 Norton P11(someday soon I'm gonna kick it alive and ride it!)
        A couple of KZ400's
        Be Here Now Until You're There Then

Comment

sorry to cut out the letter , lol wanted to say nice bike
          i dont know why factories dont start making 4:1 pipes side by side instead of 2on2 theres no ground clearance,and they look crappy
          your pipes look nice

G][/QUOTE]

Comment

Max' bike looks like a cross between a GS and a Hodaka on steroids.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

G][/QUOTE]

Max,

Is that a Triumph triple hiding in the background?
              1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

G'day Max.Love what you've done to the old girl.I'm running a Tranzac pipe on my 'S but it's a 4 into 2 .He does put out some good pipes.I can change my oil filter easily,have kept my centre stand and he's wrapt the pipes in real close to the frame so the first thing that'll scrape is the engine covers.Just don't come off I guess........ Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Wow... I just spent my afternoon/evening looking through all 71 pages of this thread. I saved a lot of pictures for inspiration.
                  Once I figure out where I can work on it, and how to get it moved from my in-law's house to here (where I used to live), I want to tear down my bike and a) fix her up purty while b) getting her to run.
                  Thanks all for the motivation. There are some beautiful bikes out there, and I look forward to seeing even more.

Comment

The Evil Twin

Srsupertrap I bought the Trident brand new in 1976 which is why I love my GS's. Triumph ownership is another form of apprenticeship because you learn what every bit is,how it works,why it breaks and how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by robotkillerbees View Post
                      it has a rear fender , i dont really want kids and the price of vasictimy's is so high these days i might take it off. and go that rought insted
                      Lol... I like the colour scheme

Comment

Painted fork lower and engine covers
                        Fork boots
                        Tucked headlamp
                        New tail light

Comment

Comment

Confused '78 GS1000

G’day
                            I'm a rookie here - it's my first post. Great site to all involved and who post to it. I recently purchased a ‘78 GS1000 after deciding on an old road bike to customise a bit and ride. From what I could read the bigger GS bikes were the first big displacement UJM’s that handled well.
                            Going solo seat didn’t worry me as I’m newly back into bikes and don’t want to risk my wife and kids on the back yet and on an older bike. After much looking about I was confused as I liked all sorts of bits and pieces from different styles. What a recipe: add bit of bobber, chopper, cafe racer, flat-track, low-rider, cruiser, hot rod, naked, fat (phat?) look, streetfighter etc.
                            In the end I didn’t want to clone anyone or any particular bike or style but was a bit concerned about how it would turn out so I decided to make changes that I would appreciate anyhow and with any luck a few others might also. I wanted to achieve the following: reasonable budget, old school, eye-catching, nearly legal, retain rear suspension and tailbox, change exhaust styling plus lower headlight, gauge pod, suspension and solo seat. It’s coming together now but still needs a few minor bits plus small indicators and pod filters. Plan to do a photo-chop showing a ‘78’ on the tank and whitewalls and see what it looks like before committing to that. Might even make up some super low solid struts for the ear end to see how it looks and rides. If wondering the rear guard (offcut from the front one) is attached to the swingarm and the numberplate is on hinges and swings up when the suspension moves.
                            Regards

Comment

Confused '78 1000 - Another pic

Side picture of the confused '78 GS1000 in below post.

Comment

Frankencycle

New to this site so toss this out if it does not fit in this subject. This is my '79 GS 750E that I have owned since '81. It had 1,500 miles on it when my soon to be wife bought it for my birthday. We have both been together (legally) just as long. It has gone through some changes over the years. First chain driven GS 850 (using factory parts). Then into what it is today GS 1000 engine bored over to 1148 ( had to make some of the mounts and shorten the right foot-peg 1/2" to clear the wider block), '81 850 cylinder head with custom over-sized Manley valves, S&W valve springs, Andrews .394 lift cams, Andrews ignition coils and wires, 29 mm smooth-bores, Yosimura head pipe into 3" into 2.25" exhaust, progressive fork and rear springs, rotors from an '81 850, air-cap fork tops, Yamaha XS 750 headlight bucket,etc. Bike currently has over 126,000 miles on it. Dirty pictures, click to enlarge.

Eric
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2009, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X