Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitman Customs View Post
    Here is my 1983 GS 1100E resto-mod, Franco 1199 motor, 07 hayabusa front end, swingarm which was extended 6 inches, 530 chain conv, raked frame 36 degrees, Murray Pro Mod pipe, GPZ gauges, busa rear sets, frame was moved out 1/2" sprocket side for swingarm/ chain clearance, 5/8 offset with custom outboard bearing support, busa controls.... bike is running and ready for paint and bodywork.

Very nice!!! Do you have a 'project thread' on this bike, or any of your bikes??? Man, I need more info on those!!! Nice collection!
    -KR
    Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
      Very nice!!! Do you have a 'project thread' on this bike, or any of your bikes??? Man, I need more info on those!!! Nice collection!
      -KR
      Much appreciated!!! I was thinking about starting a build thread on a 1982 Katana resto-mod project with a 1428 BB and an 07 GSXR subframe & bodywork conversion. It should be completely trick, like BHP belt driven magneto, Nobars's belt driven charging system, handmade 10" over chromoly tubular arm, R6 headlight etc....

Comment

Originally posted by NoBars View Post
        Aother members bike I saw earlier on this thread, pic taken at daytona in, I think 1996.
        That is now in my garage, NoBars. Thanks for the pic.
        Neat to see it in its earlier days. I bought it 4? years ago. It is considerably quicker now.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yeah, copying that bike has been in the back of my mind for years...

Comment

A work in progress. I mounted the fairing earlier in the year and posted some info on this site I've since decided to add a chin scoop, in the picture it's taped on so I can get a good look at it, now I just need to figure out where to cut and how much to cut off and most especially how to mount it. I've never seen an '82 with a chin scoop so I figured what the heck!

I think it's gonna look good, but then again I do have a biased opinion. After I mount it then all I need to do is figure out a paint scheme, any suggestions?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Looks pretty nice! Maybe just match the factory burgundy shade for the new pieces, and call it a day....or add a Suzuki 'S' on the sides of the scoop, in black?
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I agree with Tony. I really like that stock colour.
                I also have an S fairing with the 8" headlight opening going on a '78. It looks good on the GS1100 series.
                Is that an Airtech scoop?
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                  Looks pretty nice! Maybe just match the factory burgundy shade for the new pieces, and call it a day....or add a Suzuki 'S' on the sides of the scoop, in black?
                  Tony.

I thought about painting back to original colors but I also have to replace the side covers due to broken tabs, unfortunately the replacements only come in a primer black. That's when I decided I would just paint the whole bike but now comes the hard part, trying to decide the color and the scheme. I have an MG Midget and thought about painting the bike to match the Midget, Vermilion Red (actually looks reddish orange) and Black, I must admit I do like the original Suzuki Red. The other thought I keep bouncing around is Mustard Yellow with Porsche Red and Pacific Blue accent stripes scheme similar to the Terry Vance 1980 GS1100E, but the stripe pattern will not fit this body curve style.

I do like your idea of the Suzuki "S" on the scoop or even move the GS1100E down to the scoop, how would that look?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Do a search on here... it would be easier to make up new tabs! Plenty of people have done it.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      I agree with Tony. I really like that stock colour.
                      I also have an S fairing with the 8" headlight opening going on a '78. It looks good on the GS1100 series.
                      Is that an Airtech scoop?
                      Yep I bought it from Airtech, excellent quality.
                      The fairing I bought from a guy on E-bay who calls himself "Dude" and sells under the name "Nationals Fiberglass", I'm also very pleased with the quality of the fairing.

If it helps you, I've got some pictures of my fairing installation in my photoalbum, in the photos there are pictures of the mount brackets I had to make to install the fairing onto my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Do a search on here... it would be easier to make up new tabs! Plenty of people have done it.
                        I've thought about making new tabs out of aluminum stock but don't have a clue how to secure the new tabs to the plastic.

I'll give it a search, ironically I never even thought about doing a search for the tab repair, maybe the guys here have an idea of a better material to use than aluminum.
                        I've already bought the replacement covers so if I screw-up the originals then at least I have a back up. Win-win!

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood....assumed you only wanted to paint up the new additions, since the rest of your bike's finish seemed pretty nice. If starting from scratch, with no regard to keeping the appearance stock-ish, a lot of new/exciting possibilities are available! I myself like the look of black on these, IMO they look killer (check out Solo Suzuki's beautiful bike....and he too has a fairing) with the silver engine, but it depends on what you like. The Vermillion would also look superb, with black decals (1100E in stock location), black Suzuki S on the scoop, high polished cases, smoked shield if possible.
                          Photoshop is your friend.
                          Meanwhile, check out Solo's bike.

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBars View Post
                            motor on stand, all detailed pretty
                            that reminds me of a chrysler altenator,do you need one that big?

Comment

at whacky941

i fixed the broken tabs on my side covers by using a plastic alternative...very easy

i bought something from home depot (don't remember names but it was long almost screw like plastic thing with bristles)

cut it to size w/ scissors, and super glued it to my side cover (it was the same size as the holes on the frame). it expands once inside the whole to provide a nice snug fit that requires some force to remove it... perfect for riding. has stayed put for months now.

computer doesn't want to load pics right now. PM me if you need some help!
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                                Yep I bought it from Airtech, excellent quality.
                                The fairing I bought from a guy on E-bay who calls himself "Dude" and sells under the name "Nationals Fiberglass", I'm also very pleased with the quality of the fairing.

If it helps you, I've got some pictures of my fairing installation in my photoalbum, in the photos there are pictures of the mount brackets I had to make to install the fairing onto my bike.
                                The pics and explanation of the fairing installation in your albums is top-notch. Thanks, Wacky.
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X