Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newGS300Lowner View Post
    at whacky941
    i bought something from home depot (don't remember names but it was long almost screw like plastic thing with bristles)
    By chance would that be the plastic screw anchors that are screwed into drywall or sheetrock for hanging heavy pictures/paintings or mirrors? That's what comes to mind with your description, if it is then I just happen to have a few different sizes at home.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

YESSSSS that was it.

Found the Box: Crown Bolt (brand) Knotting Anchors. #14 x 3". They come with metal screws, but i just used the plastic things.

hole size might be different for your bike....

my procedure:

1. make sure the contact point is smooth on the side cover
      2. place in the spot and place the side cover on the bike (mine made the side cover stick out a bit because they were a little too long. I cut it on the thinner side, not near the base
      3. super glue it on!, get the right angle by dabbing super glue in spots underneath the plastic thing in order to make it perpendicular to the overall plane

Hope this inspires you to keep your GS stock colored.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

wow 1003 replys and 101 pages.

Comment

Belt Drive Alt?

Hello No Bars, What altenator are you using for the conversion?
          Thanks
          G
          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

I pm'd nobars about the alternator last week and haven't heard a word, of course it is the Christmas season but still.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Finally got around to snapping a pic of the bike with the fender painted red. A few of you ragged on me for it being blue so here it is repainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Finally got around to snapping a pic of the bike with the fender painted red. A few of you ragged on me for it being blue so here it is repainted.
                Nice looking bike!
                What type carbs are those?
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                  Nice looking bike!
                  What type carbs are those?
                  RS flatslides.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post

Billy,

Looks better red.

than blue of course.

Side question...

Is that the decal set from "Reproduction Decals" for the "700E" in red, on your machine?

I'm going to change mine to the red, from blue, a Cali-blue to be exact, but have been thinking the ES pattern doesn't have the GS700E mark on the sides on their webpage. I have not called them yet, which if I were going for complete OE graphics is off, but.....

Just curious.

No size designation might add a few more horepower right?. lol

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                      Billy,

Looks better red.

than blue of course.

Side question...

Is that the decal set from "Reproduction Decals" for the "700E" in red, on your machine?

I'm going to change mine to the red, from blue, a Cali-blue to be exact, but have been thinking the ES pattern doesn't have the GS700E mark on the sides on their webpage. I have not called them yet, which if I were going for complete OE graphics is off, but.....

Just curious.

No size designation might add a few more horepower right?. lol
                      It's just some stick-on letters and numbers from an office supply store. It's not the stock paint job. I repainted back in about '94 and just tried to get close to stock graphics on it. The SUZUKI decal on the tank should be solid red. Reproduction Decals did a set of graphics for me using Joe's set to work from but in red. I had them place the GS700E decals on the side panel graphics for me. Haven't used them yet though. They are so close to the stock graphics nobody would ever know the difference. Contact them and see if they kept the E graphics on file. They don't show the E set on the website but hopefully they kept the file. If you mention my name they might remember. I worked with a lady by the name of Linda IIRC.

Comment

Dang Billy that thing looks fantastic, how does it perform with the flatslides, I was amazed at how much the 700 revs for an old bike, I was pleasantly suprised with mine can only imagine it with better carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          Dang Billy that thing looks fantastic, how does it perform with the flatslides, I was amazed at how much the 700 revs for an old bike, I was pleasantly suprised with mine can only imagine it with better carbs.
                          It looks good from 10 feet away but up close it has its share of scabs. The way yours turned out has me wanting to do a frame up restoration.

They are some rev happy engines with the shortened stroke. The flatslides really woke it up. It accelerates way harder than stock. You have to roll the throttle to keep from bogging it at lower rpm's but once it gets up the rev range just keep the throttle hammered. One thing about rolling the throttle it does let you take advantage of the accelerator pumps. They probably deliver more bang for the buck than anything you can do to a bike, especially for a bolt on item.

Comment

whilst we're on the subject....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

whilst we're on the subject....

Turned out great, how are you liking the radials?

Comment

Very stable and great in the twisties.
                                Now I need a modified seat to get a bit more distance betwenn pegs an seat (poss the foam in mine is just shot).
                                Also need to sort out a speedo. Thinking acewell maybe....
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X