No announcement yet.

Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 shafty wheelies 101 lol.... from a very slow roll I sit back in the seat a bit, pull in the clutch, crank up the throttle then quickly ease out the clutch while leaning a few degrees to the right to compensate for the left torque action of the final drive. viola front end launches off ground.

After a few hundred times doing this you can bang second and keep on riding it until you run out of throttle then ease her down. I hav'nt had the urge to try a third gear because bike is too heavy and drops like a rock the faster you go.

WAIVER.... please keep in mind I have been riding for 35 years and spent many a day at the Motorcross track in my teens along with a ton of Ice racing in my earlier years. I am 47 years old and still to this day my neighbors have to put up with me jumping over rocks in backyard that poke out of ground a few inches when I get bored. I can actually get my 850 both tires off ground about a foot or so on them.

I am a sick man that replaces fork seals every 2 years and headlight bulbs on regularly basis. It still amazes me that I have NEVER had a driveshaft issue to date. These GS are truly bulletproof, I love my old girl !

OH take a little air out of back tire helps alot as well and I usually run sticky dunlops otherwise the bike just won't hook up just lays down rubber.

Stay safe please....

Comment

Originally posted by Smoregrava View Post
      Here's mi bike. I have showed it up earlier but have not been logged in last 6 months so all my post was removed so here I go again. Its a GSX 750 81 mod. with a CBR front wheel. FJR Rear wheel. TL1000 tank. Ducati 916 rear seat. Upside down fork. Aprilia RSV mille rear swing

Ewwwww! That's a cool bike! Show more, or do a thread on it. Nice ride!!!

-KR

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
        No big deal for me, it's paid for, it's mine, don't care what anyone else thinks, I will personalize it to suit my needs. I know sooner or later I was gonna do it, just deciding to solo ....

or seating for 2...

Man, I love those bikes...just very cool. LOVE the mods on these bikes!
        -KR

Comment

SmoreGrava keep them pics coming, I need to do something with my seat area. Gonna carve up my seat foam and to get something similar to a Corbin or Sargeant for now and in winter do something like you did.

Patrick, again: brilliant stuff! I've always wondered what the 82-83 E/ES models would look like if fightered properly. That is a great looking bike!!! Have you made a thread on it? If so: linky-linky please! If not, I suggest you make a build thread on it and keep geeks like me posted on your progress.
          -KR

Comment

heres my 83 ..shes coming along ..just needs leccys,paint and a seat retrim

Comment

nuther one

Comment

Its Alive!

Well, after almost two years of start-stop work on my GS650G, its back on the road again and it runs real nice! The last time I rode it was fall 2007. When I tried to get it going early spring 2008, nada, nuttin'. I hadn't been riding it enough to keep clean gas going through it. After some coaxing from the GSR members I decided to try some of my own maintenance beyond oil changes. It had become increasingly difficult to get a shop to work on it because of its age and they kept trying to sell me a new bike.

Soooo, I started a program which as many would guess kept expanding. The carbs came off for a cleaning following the GSR manual on carbs. Since they were apart and I had a hell of a time getting them back in with the airbox in place, I decided it would be a good time to try a Dynojet kit and K&N pods, as I already had the 4 into 1. That went in. Then I swapped all the engine case original soft aluminum screws with stainless steel Allen bolts. Since the case covers came off to do this I installed new gaskets and a new Electrosport stator. While installing the Allen bolts on the clutch side I dropped one deep into the engine necessitating removing down to and including the clutch basket, so a new clutch went in when that little screw-up was fixed.

Since I was doing all this reno work, it wouldn't do to have a tatty bike so a neighbor in the business painted the tank and front fender for me. I buffed up the engine cases while they were off as well. I sand blasted the headers to remove the rusty chrome there and painted them flat black with high temp paint. Finally, I bought a nearly new pair of front brake rotors off EBay and installed them, and finished the main stuff by installing the lovely flat black fork brace I bought through Salty_Monk.

There are a few things remaining and then I'll be good to go-adjust the valves and synch the carbs being the main ones and then a good wax job and finish polishing the cases. Then later, a chrome headlight shell off a 650L is going on and perhaps LED turn signals, not totally decided yet. It feels, looks and sounds like a new bike, which is nice because I've had it for twenty years already and it looks like its ready for another twenty (although that'll make me 84). A picture is attached.

Thanks so much to all the GSR folks who jumped in and helped me with advice to clean carbs, undo clutch housings, find dropped bolts, tune Dynojet kits, clean and seal the fuel tank, get the idea to sandblast the pipes and paint them and so many other tasks. I'm really grateful to all of you.

Very best regards,

Ted

Comment

still a work in progress. threads in my sig

Comment

Hey Ted Flaggo60,
                    The bike looks real good, the red really pops with the black.

Tell me about that fork brace. I need one cause I dont intend to use a front fender and need the added support.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

SmoreGrava keep them pics coming, I need to do something with my seat area. Gonna carve up my seat foam and to get something similar to a Corbin or Sargeant for now and in winter do something like you did.

wow. that monoshock looks stock! how did you mount it/picture of the bracket?

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
                        wow. that monoshock looks stock! how did you mount it/picture of the bracket?

Comment

My '78 GS100 - pics are about a week old, finished up a few things since then, changed a couple things - got to ride all weekend, so the work progress slowed down some, but the ride was good for the soul!

Comment

Yep, its lowered and slightly streched.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Always wondered what a GS tank would look like sectioned like that.. I dig it. Hold about a gallon and a half now?

Comment

Originally posted by Dignan View Post
                                Always wondered what a GS tank would look like sectioned like that.. I dig it. Hold about a gallon and a half now?
                                Well you'll have to keep wondering, the tank is off of a Virago. I figure it'll end up about 2 gallons.

Comment

Working...
                                X