Lowered Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowered Bars

Hey everyone. I'm trying to put lower handle bars on my bike (1981 GS1000). I know that i have to shorten the throttle cable, clutch cable brake line, and possibaly some eletrical wires. I was woundering if anybody has done this and where you can get the cables that fit or if there is any that will work. I don't think i can make them, can I ? Thanks for everyones help.

I put dirt bike bars on mine and didn't shorten anything.

Comment

Low Bar

I put superbike bars on my 850 and used a clutch and throttle cable from a 1000s. Ran the brake hose in a s bend behind the headlight.
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Did either of you guys have trouble with the throttle. when i put the new bars on and turned left the throttle would rev.

Comment

You need to feed the throttle cable better behind the headlight & then make an adjustment to the screw post just above the carb to take the tension off it.....

Worked for me on both my 801000G & my 78 Skunk with the 2 cable setup.

I also got away with stock clutch cables - hid it behind the headlight but on the G it did stress the gauge cluster a little when you pulled the clutch in. Did about 5k like that before I switched it out for a GS1000S model clutch cable.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

No problems with mine. I have about 6000 miles on this setup. Like salty said, check your cable. It may be getting bound up some where.
            80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

I put Tomaselli Superbike bars on my 650G. The brake hose was too long and kinked. This is when I took the opportunity to install S/S braided steel brake lines on it. Never looked back from that, its a great move.

The throttle and Clutch cables did not cause any problem at all, simply transferred the whole setup to the new bars. I've had them installed since the early 90's, nary an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by GMITCH View Post
                Did either of you guys have trouble with the throttle. when i put the new bars on and turned left the throttle would rev.
                You know, I just got done installing K&N clubman drop bars and when I started it the engine revved. I didn't have much light so I couldn't try and figure out what the problem was.

steve a

Comment

custom cable lengths

I am putting clip-ons on my 79gs750 and there is A LOT of extra cable. I want to replace them. I know where to get custom length ss brake lines but.
                  Do you guys know where I can obtain custom length throttle and clutch cables?

Comment

As a follow-up to my earlier post about excessive revving, I took the opportunity to correct the throttle cable tonight and found that there was also a problem with the choke cable too, although with the choke there isn't any adjustment left, it's already at it's maximum limit.

Do they make a shorter choke cable for this application?

thx, and sorry, don't mean to hijack thread!

Comment

I am running lower bars and the only change was to the brake hose.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

MX bars with no problems

I'm running mx bars right now and didn't shorten anything. No problems whatsoever. Just be patient and ensure you route the cables logically so they don't bind or get stuck on anything. The bars are Moose Racing CRF hi-bend. I already had them from a XR400 project that I sold. They are similar in bend and appearance to what you woudl see on a street fighter.

Comment

Installed Daytona bars on my 850 and while rerouting the stock cables worked ok, when I installed a 1000S clutch cable the hand effort went down noticeably due to reduced friction because the cable had less bends in it. Installed a 550M throttle cable as well which made the throttle snap closed with more authority. Nice upgrade for cheap.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                          X