No announcement yet.

'80 850 bobber style project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Markm- The funny thing is, him and I have both tasted pavement, in a different way though.
    We ride Road Bikes together on a Saturday Morning group ride (bicycles).
    Going 30 + miles an hour with 50 other guys around you and all you wear is a styrofoam helmet......and lemme tell ya, I know how bad sliding down the road feels! Them stretchy shorts dont do a damn thing!!!
    Yeah, road rash does suck!

Comment

Originally posted by kenny p View Post
      road rash does suck!

when the road rash is too much, its time for a car

Comment

Richharr - Saw the Chainring Tat......you a Mtn. Biker??

Comment

I am....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Shaved the fork legs, here is a before/after....

Close to the latest pics, still need to detail the motor.

Well, there she is! I call her the "Skazook"
            I have less than 500 bucks into the whole thing, including registration and plates!!
            It was a learning experience for sure, looking forward to the next one.
            I only wish I would have found out about you guys a year ago!
            I hope you guys like what I've done, I know she ain't thee most practical motorcycle on the planet, but I tell ya, it is sooooo much fun to ride!

Thanks for takin' the time to check it out.

Kenny P.

Kenny,

Did you lower the front at all? Sick bike man I absolutely love it. What kind of tubing did you use for the back part of your frame? Does it ride rough at all? I've never been on a hardtail bike, I don't know how they feel.

Are all of your electronics back by the battery? Igniter box and stuff? I see the coils are still under the tank. Awesome build man!

TWorx

Comment

Thanks Tworx!
              The front is a little lower because it has 1/2 the air and 1/2 the oil and seems to work fine.
              The tubing came from a friend that builds bikes, I can find out the exact "name" for it. I just went with what he said would work.
              The ride is fine, the seat springs soak a lot up. Luckily I'm in Florida and the roads are really smooth.
              And, yes, the electronics are all under the seat in the little vented section in front of the battery.
              So far, so good.
              Glad ya dig it!

Comment

The front is a little lower because it has 1/2 the air and 1/2 the oil and seems to work fine.
                Can't argue with 1/2 the air, but I would re-think using 1/2 the oil.

Not sure about your particular model, but some forks use sliders of some type that have holes in them that are mounted to the inside of the fork tubes. These sliders are mounted to the upper part of the forks and are supposed to be immersed in oil to damp spring movement. If the oil level is too low, they will be in air, allowing rather free movement. When the forks are compressed due to a large bump, the dampers will travel through a little bit of air then suddenly hit the oil, which does strange things to handling, especially if you are in a turn. Using the full amount of oil will assure consistent damping throughout the entire stroke of the suspension.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Can't argue with 1/2 the air, but I would re-think using 1/2 the oil.

Not sure about your particular model, but some forks use sliders of some type that have holes in them that are mounted to the inside of the fork tubes. These sliders are mounted to the upper part of the forks and are supposed to be immersed in oil to damp spring movement. If the oil level is too low, they will be in air, allowing rather free movement. When the forks are compressed due to a large bump, the dampers will travel through a little bit of air then suddenly hit the oil, which does strange things to handling, especially if you are in a turn. Using the full amount of oil will assure consistent damping throughout the entire stroke of the suspension.

I still want to buy your bike and i wil come 1000 miles to get it.My harley has too big of a balance right now to sell it.Hope its there when i can come up there.Ron Bayless.crusierlover02@suddenlink.net
                  future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

amazing!!

just picked up a magazine that had the 50 hottest bikes in it,
                    from what i saw, yours should have been in there.

"great work" does not even cover it.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhilV88 View Post
                      awesome job. I am inspired to try something similar in the future.
                      Besides the jockey journal, what other websites would you recommend that have Japanese bikes for reference. As much as I like harleys, i always like seeing "alternative" bobbers/chops?
                      Have a look here - http://www.650motorcycles.com/ - mostly XS650 Yamahas (obviously) but lots of other nice Jap bikes too. Heaps of Bobbers as you scroll down the page. Some of the nicest bikes seem to be in Holland, I'm not sure why.

Comment

[quote=kenny p;886140]I had to make a coupling to be able to remove the rear wheel (because of the shaft) on the left side of the hardtail.

I was wondering what you were going to do ablut that. Brilliant idea!!!

How did you finish the joint?
                        I see a couple of heavy rivits but how do you keep it together without coming loose. Better yet..... how do you get it loose when you want it to?!
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2008, 12:50 AM. Reason: Wanted to subscribe

Comment

Holy tap dancing Christmas! I fu<king want it! Now!

Someday I will not be broke. Someday I will have time. And someday I will have a place to work on my bike that doesn't fall down in windstorms and wreck my bike and my entire workspace.

Those intakes are scary pretty. Well, so is the whole bike, but that is one hell of a touch. -nick

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
                            Someday I will not be broke. Someday I will have time.
                            I have said the same thing many times. It seems you either have money or time, but never both. Unless you hit a lottery, that is...

Good luck with it, though. Let us know if you figure it out. I want in, too!

Mark

Comment

Somethings not quite looking right with the forks. How do they sit so high up? Looks like their only a couple inchs from the lower triple?! I know your running half air and half oil but damn! You didnt cut the spacer in the forks or anything?

I know many people that are loooking to lower the front of their bikes (myself included) but how did this get so low?

Have you ever bottomed out on the trees over a large bump?

Whats the legnth of your forks overall? I know my 1000 has a TON of room between the triples and the dust cap. I would love to get mine that low!!

Save me from wanting to do a raked neck...... well maybe

Comment

So, I'm curious. I've been seeing a lot of chopper/bobber projects here that have no signals, no mirrors and no gauges. What is the legality of all that? I thought at least signals and mirrors were legally mandatory. Do you just cross your fingers or what?

Also... I thought they didn't go to shafties until '82? And what is all that bike like with just a single rear disc? That sounds scary as sh!t! -nick

Comment

Working...
                                X