Seat doesn't like the paint on the tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat doesn't like the paint on the tank

My tank was kinda nasty looking and I'm no painter except for house paint on a house. Anyway I used the high heat enamel on my tank cause I like the way it looking on my pipes. It dried for probly longer that the can said. put everything back on the bike. Had to take the seat off again so I grabbed the front to take it off and my hand was black and sticky. looked at the tank and it looks wet. I touched it and the paint is tacky. Rubbing alcohol cleaned up the seat. I tried a small spot on the tank and it didn't take off the paint. So I went after where the seat was touching and the enamel paint came off. Luckly on that part of the tank I didn't take off all the factory paint so at least there's still pain there.

Just wondering what went wrong if anyone knows. I just bought this awsome saddlemen seat and would like to put it on the bike and enjoy not having electrical tape. But I'm not going to get it jacked up so right now it's still in the box.

Most paint needs days if not weeks to "cure". Had a similiar thing happen after letting paint dry for over a week. Have resprayed the tank and after two weeks, waxed it and the seat. Haven't checked yet to see if it's sticking - been two weeks.

Comment

Well I ended up just cleaning up the paint that was sticky and cleaned it off the seat and put it back on. There was was no more "stickyness" when I took it back off. So I put the new seat cover on and the front if it touches a little higher than where the stock seat does. I know that I have painted it more than a month ago. Just at the top where the new seat touched became sticky. Although I put this on before able to read your post so I didn't wax it but the paint that became sticky was well past the 2 week curing time. I didn't know about waxing anything it's just flat black I thought you didn't wax flat back.

Comment

Yeah you're right - you don't wax flat black.

Comment

Working...
        X