getting rid of chrome on the header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting rid of chrome on the header

I will be painting or coating my header over the winter and want to do whatever I can to prep the part. Do I need to remove the chrome or can I just scuff it up?

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I'm planning the same approach and the advice I've received from members here is to sandblast the thing back to bare metal. The paint won't hold on the chrome, you'll just have a mess. Once its clean, spray high temperature paint on it. Then you can keep it looking new with just a touch up now and then.

That's my plan, but I haven't done it yet.

Comment

I sandblasted my chrome fender so that I could paint it. I'm not impressed with the results. Chrome is hard stuff. I really don't think the sandblaster really removed the chromes as much as it just scuffed it up really good. Next time, I'll take it to a plater. The same guys who put chrome on metal, can take chrome off. It's actually cheaper too. Take the header to a plater and ask them to dip it to remove the chrome,

Comment

Excellent idea, I'll look into it.

Paul
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Sand blast. Don't touch the metal with bare skin after blasting. The oil from skin causes problems. Use gloves when handling. Then use 7832T19 paint from http://www.mcmaster.com/. It's good to 1200 degrees. Several colors are available. I used black. You can't beat the price and delivery. I've had it on my header for over 20 months without any degradation. It looks good too.

I used a heat gun blowing heat in the reverse direction in the header as the initial cure.

If you get a ding or two later, it takes a touch-up really well.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
            Sand blast...... I've had it on my header for over 20 months without any degradation. It looks good too.

I used a heat gun blowing heat in the reverse direction in the header as the initial cure.

If you get a ding or two later, it takes a touch-up really well.
            Are you able to post a picture of the finished job for us? Much appreciated if you could.

Comment

drhach, My plater wants $75 to remove the chrome (which is ratty anyway) from my 4-1 header. Sandblaster wants $30.

Paul

Comment

Exhaust

Had mine powder coated.......had a buddy do it who works in a plant so it did'nt cost anything, will see how it holds up...tempted at 450 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Had mine powder coated.......had a buddy do it who works in a plant so it did'nt cost anything, will see how it holds up...tempted at 450 degrees.
                  That's a really nice finish, it looks like ceramic. Don't know a lot about powder coat paint. Does high temperature affect it?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                    I'm planning the same approach and the advice I've received from members here is to sandblast the thing back to bare metal. The paint won't hold on the chrome, you'll just have a mess. Once its clean, spray high temperature paint on it. Then you can keep it looking new with just a touch up now and then.

That's my plan, but I haven't done it yet.
                    Well, I did it today. The sandblast job was excellent, but did not remove the chrome. What it did do was etch it totally and leave a matte finish, which I painted over with the high temperature paint.

I will report back the success or lack of same as I experience it, because the technique is much less expensive than having it dipped, or so I am told.

Comment

Working...
                    X