what "off the shelf" cafe seats fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what "off the shelf" cafe seats fit?

i dont want to make one. i want to buy one, that will fit with minimal modification. and i dont want to spend an ass-ton.

ideas? what have others used? i dont know how wide is too wide or how narrow is too narrow. id like input from someone who has bought one and modded it to fit.

I have no idea how much an ass-ton is, but they have some decent looking seats here for $285. http://omarsdtr.com/

Comment

What bike? GS's vary widely from year to year and model to model as to the seat pan design. How much is an "ass-ton"? Do you want Wal-Mart cheap or good quality for the money? If it's bike specific you can be sure it's not going to be cheap. Have you checked out caferacer.net to see what has been done there? I know there are a couple guys there that could make you a seat based on your dimensions but they might cost an "ass-ton".

Comment

Originally posted by gearman View Post
        I have no idea how much an ass-ton is, but they have some decent looking seats here for $285. http://omarsdtr.com/
        Maybe he means an Ass-ton Martin-that's expensive ...

Comment

check out airtech streamlining. They have all there seat dimensions listed.

Comment

im astounded. ive searched high and low here, and havent come across a single person stating an off-the-shelf was used or modified. seems everyone builds theirs.

im a member of caferacer.net, and there arent many GS guys over there, mostly xs/cb guys. fwiw, i have a 79 gs1000. an ass-ton to me is >150. id build my own at that point, but i dont really have the time to mess with it, nor do i have a proper garage to work with glass.

really just looking for someone that has used one with success so i can cross-reference the measurements. i know the physical dimensions of the rear of the frame, but ive never messed with cafe stuff, so i dont know whats acceptable. i dont want to send alot of money on a piece of glass and it not fit or not able to be worked with.

Comment

I know you don't wont to build your own, but I would like to add something to this discussion on that point. You can get a great seat from airtech for roughly $135. I built my own, thinking it would be cheaper, and so far I have spent about $90 on materials and my seat will not look very professional when I'm done. Granted I f'd up a few times but In my case, I should have just bought a seat.

Just food for thought...

Comment

I built my own for the XS400. It looks professional and fits perfect. I actually built one for another guy too. All in, I think it cost me about 100 Canuck bucks or so with supplies. Just sayin, I have a GS1000 as well.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                  I built my own for the XS400. It looks professional and fits perfect.

How wonderful for you.

Comment

i bought mine from my local salvage yard for $120 and bolted it directly to the frame. i think its 10" wide at the front and close to 11" at the widest point. mine is a 750

Comment

Originally posted by sark View Post
                      I know you don't wont to build your own, but I would like to add something to this discussion on that point. You can get a great seat from airtech for roughly $135. I built my own, thinking it would be cheaper, and so far I have spent about $90 on materials and my seat will not look very professional when I'm done. Granted I f'd up a few times but In my case, I should have just bought a seat.

Just food for thought...
                      very helpful. i really would like to build my own, but the caveats are exactly what you posted, not to mention the time factor. thank you.

I built my own for the XS400. It looks professional and fits perfect. I actually built one for another guy too. All in, I think it cost me about 100 Canuck bucks or so with supplies. Just sayin, I have a GS1000 as well.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

nice seat. interested in building another?

Originally posted by muskies666 View Post
                      i bought mine from my local salvage yard for $120 and bolted it directly to the frame. i think its 10" wide at the front and close to 11" at the widest point. mine is a 750

thank you for your informative post. your measurements help me narrow down what i need in order to fit on the GS backhalf.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                        nice seat. interested in building another?

I could be. If you have an idea of what you want (pictures), let me know.

Comment

I could be. If you have an idea of what you want (pictures), let me know.

similiar to that you have, minus taillight and studs, plain old rivets suit me just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                            similiar to that you have, minus taillight and studs, plain old rivets suit me just fine.
                            They arent studs really. Stainless buttonhead cap bolts with matching nuts i do believe. Much the same as I am using on my home made seat. Wont ever rust or tarnish, and you dont have to dick around with rivets whenever you decide to change the foam out. Pretty good idea actually, he gave me the idea to do the same on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              They arent studs really. Stainless buttonhead cap bolts with matching nuts i do believe. Much the same as I am using on my home made seat. Wont ever rust or tarnish, and you dont have to dick around with rivets whenever you decide to change the foam out. Pretty good idea actually, he gave me the idea to do the same on mine.

im okay with a little rust, my bike is older than i am. we call it "patina".

Comment

Working...
                              X