Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear tail light lens?

Hey guys,

Just ordered some turn signals that are LEDs with clear lenses. I know it is tacky, but it goes with the "paint" job I am doing (a secret until it is done). I am wondering if I can get a clear tail light lens for my 82 850G? I think the whole plastic is red colored, not just a film on the inside. If that were the case, i could figure out how to remove it. Anyone have any ideas?

Unaware of any clear lenses for a bike this old. Use some good/applicable adhesive and build your own out of Lexan?

Comment

is your top secret paint job clear paint? neato.

Comment

The plastic is pigmented all the way thru. You may be able to find something you can make work from another bike but it will be pure trial and error.

Comment

My secret "paint" job uses a different media than paint, though there will be something there. So no, it is not clear paint, but will be better!

Comment

How ambitious are you? You could make a mold of the existing lens and buy the material to cast a new, clear lens. Check these guys out.

Comment

WOW, I was looking for something like that. For the taillight, it would be a lot more rubber mold and I guess a container of their resin. Thanks for the link!
              Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Post pictures if you do this. I've had a taillight idea for a while that I've wanted to try this out on. Like most of my projects it always seems to fall towards the bottom of the priority list.

Comment

If I get a good mold, I could make some for others. It is a bit of an investment as that stuff aint cheap, but would sure be fun!

Comment

Smooth-on is another molding and casting company. They have this page:
                    Make repairs, recreate parts, or make your own custom parts for prototype or production applications.

Comment

UPDATE: I took the lens off to see about duplicating it. No go! There is a white/clear reflector that is glued into it creating a pocket. It has texture on both sides. If I were to mold this then cast it, there would be a huge chunk of resin. Not to mention the loss of the reflector's surface. It's all bad. Damn, I really wanted a clear lens.

Comment

Working...
                      X