83 GS 550E Polycarbonate Flat Wind Fairing/ 300 Winchester Mag Shell Insert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS 550E Polycarbonate Flat Wind Fairing/ 300 Winchester Mag Shell Insert

Thought i would post my fairing project.

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/r...een%20Fairing/

My bike did not come with a plexi fairing, i could not justify spending $100.00 plus shipping on the stock model.

Ordered 1/4 inch polocarbonate ( lexan brand ).

Got some 16 guage galvanized angle with holes from Home Depot.

Picked up spent brass winchester 300 mag shell casings at gun show super cheap.

Cut and fit the lexan, cut and fit the brackets, used step drill bit to enlarge holes for winchester 300 mag spent shell casing.

Cut, Primed, sanded, painted the brackets.

Made a shell case holder out of a 2 foot long firing strip of wood so i could cut all the shell casings to 1/4" below base at the same time.

Press fit the shell casing bases to the brackets.

Waiting for duplicolor T100 universal gloss black paint to cure so i can polish the shell casing bases and clear coat and final mount the fairing.

Tot cost was $30.00 in material including paint supplies.

Once it's mounted i'll update this post.

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM.

Just wanted to update the thread and show the wind fairing mounted. An ABS lower cover still needs to be installed. Click on the link in my signature to see the close ups of the shell casings after polish and clear coat.

The allen head bolts will be painted black once i have cut the abs lower cover.

Comment

I am a form & function kind of guy so the embellishment of brass shell casings is wasted on me. Its like a custom Hyabusa I saw at the bike show Saturday. Amazing artsy paint job like you'd see on a cruiser or chopper with spikes all over (bolt covers???). Why? The bike was lowered and stretched ,however (i.e. function).

Your craftsmanship is good and if it suits your taste....good for you.

One suggestion if I may. I'd curl the top edge up or you're going to get wind stream right in the facemask at speed.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, it doesn't show but i raked the shield slightly higher becasue the lexan is 1/4" thick and to curl it up would create a frosted effect that would ruin it.

I respect your opinion on embellishments, and it is purely for my own sense of style and a creative expression which reflects my personality.

Granted though busa's as well as other bikes tend to go over the top in terms os tasteless design, poor execution and a boat load of wasted money, ie: the extended swing arm is something i could never say suited the style of the bike and is a pointless and expensive mod with no real performance benefit.

Luckily this bike is not worth more than bus fare so within reason and good taste i felt i saved money over the original and am happy with the results which are functional.

Comment

An extended swingarm does add to performance. Adding wheelbase will help keep the front end from lifting so easily on a bike with that much power. Also lowering the bike will lower the center of gravity making the bike handle differently (better) and will also help keep the front tire on the ground.

Comment

Turn in response and cornering suffer though, which defeats the original design intentions. But i can see where this would prevent wheelies and provide a more comfortable ride from the longer wheelbase.

Comment

Dude! That's definitely different. While it's not my cup o' tea, I don't think it looks bad, maybe a bit "out of theme", but not bad. I am impressed with the "unique" factor it adds and the low cost of materials and solid fabrication and attention to detail.

Well done!

Comment

PS: Must be runnin' good these days if you're on to custom wind screens!

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                  PS: Must be runnin' good these days if you're on to custom wind screens!
                  Thanks to you yes, hi praise indeed!
                  I did want something a little unique i get tired of seeing all the same bikes down here with the same mods etc.,
                  and yes the bike is running great, idles great has good pick up throughout the rpm range! now onto the brakes and a squirrely feeling coming from the front end!

Yeah you are right. It is not theme correct in the traditional sense,in their end considering that the Samurai died on the battle field not from swords or arrows rather from rifle bullets of the Imperial army;

by order of the emperor it was an attempt at adopting western modernization of armaments and philosophy.

I thought a little off theme was better than putting a Katana sword under the petcock facing rearward towards the brake light if i don't want to get pulled over every ten feet LOL !
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM.

Comment

This shot shows a clearer view of the angle of the windscreen, thanks to everyone for your opinions.

Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X