1981 gs650gl cafe...ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs650gl cafe...ish

ok guys, time for me to pick some more brains with another gs project.
    so i got a gs650gl recently and am thinking of doin a cafe outta her. problem is i don't know where to find alot of things i want or know which things will work on this bike like i need. so here's a list of the things and if you could give a little insight to any or all it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance and keep up the good work, love the site

1) i have seen pics of gs bikes with rear-set foot controls (refferred to as rear-sets i think?) in the bike of the month archieves for 08-07 and they tell that the controls are off gsx's and such... well is there a bike with rear set controls that would just bolt up to my bike with minimal alteration? i have no problem with alteration but would like to keep it to a minimum on this project.

2) where can i find some decent small small fairings, the ones that basicly just cover the headlight?

3) side covers... where can i get some?

4) last but probably most important, a basic carb rebuild kit i.e. o-rings, jets, gaskets, etc.

like i said, any help or input would be great, thnx

also would like to find a set of case guards lol

Comment

There's lots of options for rearsets. Raask, Tarozzi, stock ones from a sport bike. Not many will just bolt right up, so expect to do some mods and welding. If you're handy, I'd say make your own.

The majority of cafe bikes don't have fairings, but I'd say look at Airtech Streamlining for stuff.

Cafe bikes also don't usually have side covers. Rip them off, get rid of the airbox, hide the battery under the seat hump and hide the wiring. Put pod filters on. You want the see-through look, believe me.

Carb rebuild kits are avalilable from BikeBandit or Z1 or any of your favourite places. Look around. Also, check with Robert Barr (member here), he'll likely have your O-ring sets.

Case guards on a cafe??? You know the point of them is to strip them down and make them lighter, right?

Lastly, check out www.dotheton.com for lots of cafe inspiration. Just don't make a seat out of an old tank and rattle can everything black. My build is on there, the green XS400.

Comment

Is this fairing too big? (Note double headlights)

I have Raask rearsets but they are for a 80-82 GS750E and a 80-82 GS1100...

Also see link.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

well yea, case guards and side covers... like i said, cafe-ish lol
          but yea that fairing in the link was a bit big i just want one ofthose little squares and barely cover the headlight and area around it
          i know i could build the rear sets if i wanted (i did build the entire foward control "rig" on my 82 gs650g chop as well as chopped the frame and etc personally) thnx for the leads tho, i'll have to check em out

Comment

koko,
            I also have a set of clip-ons if you want to go that route.

Comment

any way i could see some pics of the raask rearsets and the clip ons? i'm pretty good at making things do what i want but i'm a visual person. lol

Comment

Originally posted by kokopelli View Post
                any way i could see some pics of the raask rearsets and the clip ons? i'm pretty good at making things do what i want but i'm a visual person. lol
                Here are pics.

Comment

More pics.

Comment

like the rear sets, u got the brake side too? i think they're pretty close to what i need and a little alteration can be done... where you wantin to get rid of em? if so what you lookin to get?

Comment

like the rear sets, u got the brake side too? i think they're pretty close to what i need and a little alteration can be done... where you wantin to get rid of em? if so what you lookin to get?
                      The links below are both sides. I am parting out the bike, the rearsets are about 350.00 new, I would like to get around half of that or so. Let me know, or send me your email address and I can send more pictures if needed.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...3&d=1230141912

Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2008, 11:12 PM.

Comment

you know how how **** is with the economy and holidays money is pretty tight right now but work be pickin up soon as its over so i don't wanna say hold em cause anything could happen but if you still got em when i get some money together i'll talk to you more then... thanks dude

Comment

ok guys, time for me to pick some more brains with another gs project. ...
                          4) last but probably most important, a basic carb rebuild kit i.e. o-rings, jets, gaskets, etc.
                          Your best bet for carb parts is to replace all the o-rings in the carbs and the intake boots. Lucky for you, they are easily found and inexpensive. You can also order stainless bolts for the intake boots at the same place. Where? Oh, yeah, it's Cycle O-Rings. The proprietor there is a member of this forum.

If, by chance you need float bowl gaskets, they are available from your dealer or the usual online suppliers, Bike Bandit, Alpha Powersports, etc. When you switch to a header and pods, you will need to re-jet the carbs. I believe that Z1 Enterprises carries jets.

Don't bother with any of the so-called "carb rebuild kits". They include brass pieces of questionable quality and will not be the right sizes that you need for your re-jet, and also do not include nearly enough o-rings. That's why you order from Cycle O-rings. A complete set of o-rings and possibly the stainless fasteners will cost about the same as one "rebuild kit", and you would need four kits. The only part the kit has that you might need would be the bowl gasket. Those are much cheaper purchased separately, even from a dealer.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the tips
                            i know the shop i used to order from went thru parts unlimited think and got me a complete rebuild kit with brass pieces and all o-rings (just for float chambers, i hate pullin the carbs apart if i can avoid it. slack i know lol) for my 82 gs650 chop and since it was a friend got em at a decent price. unfortunately they no longer open at the moment and i dont like to wait lol

Comment

you know how how **** is with the economy and holidays money is pretty tight right now but work be pickin up soon as its over so i don't wanna say hold em cause anything could happen but if you still got em when i get some money together i'll talk to you more then... thanks dude
                              Ok, sounds good, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X