Need info on a GS1000 to chopper-ish type conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on a GS1000 to chopper-ish type conversion

I have an 80 GS1k, wanting to build a bobber/chopper style bike with it. If anyone could send some info my way, that would be great. Something from the North Texas area would be even better, possibly a fab shop or some sort that I could buy parts from.

Originally posted by chefdizzle View Post
    I have an 80 GS1k, wanting to build a bobber/chopper style bike with it. If anyone could send some info my way, that would be great. Something from the North Texas area would be even better, possibly a fab shop or some sort that I could buy parts from.

Try the search feature, there are threads by guys who have bobbed and cafe'd these bikes. You'll find a lot of good info on the Old Skool Suzuki site as well. They are totally focused on chopping up and heavily modding these bikes. They bash us a bit for being too into keeping them stock.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      Try the search feature, there are threads by guys who have bobbed and cafe'd these bikes. You'll find a lot of good info on the Old Skool Suzuki site as well. They are totally focused on chopping up and heavily modding these bikes. They bash us a bit for being too into keeping them stock.

whats the internet address of the old school site? i've seen it mentioned a few times and would like to check it out but aint seen any link or adress
      thnx

Comment

Originally posted by kokopelli View Post
        whats the internet address of the old school site? i've seen it mentioned a few times and would like to check it out but aint seen any link or adress
        thnx
        Google "Old Skool Suzuki" and it'll be there.

Comment

I had a gs 1000,80 model that i wanted to mod up a lot.The top frames/seat support making chopper style hard, plus the battery,electrics all have their place that make frame mods tough.even risers for the handlebars are nonexistent.I gave up on making a new frame,but have seen people chop theirs up.I was in process of making forward controls, never totally succedded, but one guy here di.it is possible to make the rear brake lever go out past the cases so forwards can be fabricated from that point on.One guy here, and i am trying to find his thread, is heavily chopping up his frame.i am really interested in what he will do with battery and electrics.If you dont chop the frame, then fiberglass rear fender,frenched in taillight,z bars,forwards,close fitting front fender,rear fender lowered close to rear tire,kurakyn grips,custom mirrors,would be ok.Different wheels are really tough to come up with.mac makes a 4 into 2 exhaust that i liked.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

forward controls aren't too difficult...
            what was the ****er with my 82 gs650g i chopped all to hell was fitting all the electronics. in the end i fabricated brackets and mounted everything to my rear fender under the seat leaving me JUST enough room for my battery. i stripped the stock wiring harness and ran my own, stripped down electrical... still looks like a nightmare with that much wiring in one place, don't wanna think about what it would be if i'ld left the stock harness!

Comment

Here's a picture of my GS850. The frame has been cut just behind the gas tank so the seat will sit lower. I still have the battery under the seat, but it's tight. I went through the wiring harrness and ended up getting rid of about 1/2 the wiring(I don't have any gauges) which helped fitting the wiring under the seat. My forward controls are from TC Bros with brackets that I had made since TC Bros only makes them for Hondas and Yami's.

Comment

Here's a pic of the frame mods. I can only upload one pics at a time?

Comment

if you can weld dig in! Check out my build thread in the owners forum it'll show you how I did mine. Also check out kenny p and richharr they both have chopped their bikes. The gs isn't exactly an easy chop but far from difficult so have fun. You might want to check out the chopperunderground as well lot of talented work going on over there.

Comment

Originally posted by BCWesty View Post
                    Here's a picture of my GS850. The frame has been cut just behind the gas tank so the seat will sit lower. I still have the battery under the seat, but it's tight. I went through the wiring harrness and ended up getting rid of about 1/2 the wiring(I don't have any gauges) which helped fitting the wiring under the seat. My forward controls are from TC Bros with brackets that I had made since TC Bros only makes them for Hondas and Yami's.
                    Can you get me some more pics of you're bike and maybe a write of sorts for the forward controls and how you made the brackets?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions and info. I appreciate it.

Comment

You can't find any ready made parts to chop a GS. Trust me on this. Like a previus poster said, check out The Chopper Underground. Do your research and find some helpful friends. The is (was?) an '80 GS1000.

Comment

Is that a turbo GS1000 chopped up?

Im in love.

Comment

Can you get me some more pics of you're bike and maybe a write of sorts for the forward controls and how you made the brackets?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions and info. I appreciate it.
                          Here's some more pics of my bike. I took better pics of the frame and forward controls. There is pic of the brackets off the bike. I had the brackets made for me. Cost about $200(ouch). It's very similar to TC Bros. brackets they make for Honda's and Yamaha's, but instead of a long bolt running throught the tubing I have a bolt welded inside of the end of the tubing. Hopefully you see what I meen from the pic's. If you want any more pics let me know. The turbo GS pic is awesome

Comment

It won't let me upload more than one picture at a time I have another pic of the forward controls bracket off the bike but the upload keeps giving me an error code.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Wheelie, now that is what a chopped GS should look like, great stance, spoke wehels and of course who doesn't like a turbo?

Comment

Working...
                              X