Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refurbishing my seat...should I choose leather or vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should not cost a very great deal to have it done professionally. Shops that specialize in marine and auto work can do it and can even customize the seat cushion to suit you if you so desire, building it up, lowering it, making it softer or more dense.

Costs nothing more than a telephone call to see what a shop will do for you.

Marine grade vinyl, as Billy Ricks said, is definitely best. Apart from flexibillity, (pun intended) it is more resistant to ultra-violet and heat. It will be more comfortable as it will stay flexible and will last longer.

Choice of material is up to the shop, but they will probably have a better selection of appropriate materials than would a fabric shop.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

My custom seat, made by Diamond Custom Motorcycle Seats in Florida, has a velour top. It feels cool in summer and warm in winter. Disadvantage is that it's obviously not so pleasant to my tush when it's wet. So, I carry a seat cover with me in the form of an old heavy duty trash bag.

I sent Diamond my pan back in January 2001 and had it back in 7 weeks, in plenty of time for the riding season. Price: $400 including shipping, a very worthwhile investment for someone like me, who rides a lot. After two and a half riding seasons, it still feels good, and looks good too.

Nick

Comment

Working...
      X