Chainguard swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainguard swap?

Just wondering if anyone knows if my plastic 78 gs550 chainguard can be swapped directly for a chrome chainguard off an L or T or something? My good local wrecker seems to have closed down and I just don't have the time/patience to go see the crazy one to check and see if they are similar.

josh

I imagine it is possible. Best bet is to measure between the mounting points on your current chain guard and post some pics to make sure the mounting tabs are the same. With some more information I'm sure someone will come along with an answer for you.

(My 550T chain guard is currently on the bike at the place where the Builder is located or I'd measure and take some pics for you so you could see)

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
      Just wondering if anyone knows if my plastic 78 gs550 chainguard can be swapped directly for a chrome chainguard off an L or T or something? My good local wrecker seems to have closed down and I just don't have the time/patience to go see the crazy one to check and see if they are similar.

josh
      What city do you live in BC? Sounds like our situation in victoria. The crazy one also wants to charge an arm and leg for stuff.

Comment

yes I am in victoria! It's a drag that vic motorcycle salvage closed down. The dude that ran it was also a tad crazy, but I always felt like I got a decent price. Flea bay has the occasional deal, but the shipping takes a toll...

You have your bike on the road in this beautiful weather?

Comment

yes I am in victoria! It's a drag that vic motorcycle salvage closed down. The dude that ran it was also a tad crazy, but I always felt like I got a decent price. Flea bay has the occasional deal, but the shipping takes a toll...

You have your bike on the road in this beautiful weather?
          No, I'm not riding right now, I am rebuilding the engine, bike is apart.
          Jim, the owner of motorcycle salvage wants to reopen the place but needs someone to run it. His other shop is just off Gorge by Douglas, can't remember the street. I don't know what happened to the other guys that were working there. Sometimes you can catch someone there.

Comment

There are a couple of shots of my chainguard. Maybe anyone with a chrome one can see if they are at all similar?

thanks guys

josh

Comment

There are a couple of shots of my chainguard. Maybe anyone with a chrome one can see if they are at all similar?

thanks guys

josh

I just measured the chrome chain guard on my 550T and it is a little more than 10 3/4" (metric measurements would have probably been more precise....) center to center, so that rules out the 550T model chain guards as yours appears to be just under or around 10" center to center.

Amos

Comment

Working...
              X