1981 gs1100 plastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs1100 plastics

i was wondering what i could do to my 81 gs1100 as far as sportyer plastics. like i know some of the katana's have sporty plastic. is there anything i could do fairly easy to get it to look more like a crotch rocket? and how have you guys went about doing custom seats? i really dont like that big thick seat on it and i really like how it feels when you take the seat off and sit on it all low down and tucked in.

I would say cafe seat would tuck you in more, I have no idea if those are made for 1100. There are many more people on gsr that could answer this. You could make your own seat, which there is also alot of literature of that on here as well.

Comment

1981 gs1100 seat and plastics

thanks for the info does any body know of a cafe seat? or maybe tips on making a seat?

Comment

does any one know about changing the guages i really hate the bulky cluster of guages on my bike i want to change that and the head light

Comment

Originally posted by sean doan View Post
          does any one know about changing the guages i really hate the bulky cluster of guages on my bike i want to change that and the head light

boo hiss.....

why change it ...its an iconic design that sets it apart from most others .if you use it and get it right with the right bars it can be quite an agressive look .use you plastics and cut the seat down somewhat in length and height and it gives a totally look and feel.

not sure why you want to make a crotch rocket ...those are readilly available and lets face it ......every has one

anyways that my few pence worth .....at the end of the day its yours ...do as you wish..........just send the plastics light and all to me

i submit my toy for your perusal

Comment

yah i think your right i was looking at it last night and i do like it the seat and head light throw me off. but the head light looks nice on yours your seat is awsome you wanna sell me your seat? were did you get that seat or how did you make it. your 1100 looks really sweet.

Comment

saffa

When I see your bike, and even though I chose to not go for the USD's on my GS1100ED, your bike makes me want to put USD's on my GS750EX .

Very nice. I think the USD almost look more natural on the 80-81 GS E models.

Of course you have much more work into the swinger than I'm likely to pursue.

Pos

Comment

seat was made from a fibreglass base which was on it when i got it .i took 6 inches out the centre and rejoined the back to the front .both ends needed a v groove cutting in from the centre to get the side rails to line up nicely.then glass the sucker back up ..trying of course to keep the width of it stock so it matches the side rails and side covers.

bear in mind here though that i removed the same 6inchesfrom the rear of the sub frame and relocated the original seat locking mounts 6 inches forward.

then was a case of reshaping the foam completely to give the shape you want .i wanted to get the same shape on the seat as you get on the tank top but in reverse...

of course ..if youre not shortening your subby ,you can still reshape your seat to the same shape ...just stock length....still works the same .not a ahard job but time consuming ..and i do feel its enhanced the look of the original bodywork quite nicely.

originally i was gonna lose all the original stuff ...but after a long hard look ..the original stuff seemed to work and flow quite well ...it merely required a bit of tweaking to set it off...

anyways im rambling now

Comment

i think ill go with the stock length and modify it from there. im nervous to hack my stock seat up thought. how do you form the foam. do you use like a saw or sand on it or somthing? but yah man dont worry about rambling i think your bike is one of my favorites on here just looks tuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X