Side cover HELP PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side cover HELP PLEASE

After waiting over a month fo my sidecovers one showed up yesterday.What a piece of junk.My order was for both covers with badges.cost 110.00.They said those were lost in the mail and would send another set.Well the one that did come has no badge and s very rough to say the least.There is a small patch at an attempted repair.Tabs are solid.Whatis the best way to sand and prep for paint.Also need to fill holes where the badges were.I have to bring these around because at present i am laid off and need bike done.This is for a Gs 650 Glz and these are hard to get.NEED HELP will try to post pic later

Here is what i have to work with

Comment

Sand off the old finish with sandpaper. Start with 220 or so, try not to cut into the plastic very deep.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

what should i use to go over the bad patch to fill it in?

Comment

milliput perhaps

Comment

When I painted my bike, the covers were a delicate operation. To knock the paint down, I used a random orbital sander on the flat surface, but after that, it's all hand sanding. If there's a little damaged spot after sanding, fill it to close to, but not over the final desired surface level with fiberglass (short fiber hair or jelly, NOT BONDO).

Not the most important part. Do yourself a favor, and get some QUALITY, TWO PART, PRIMER/FILLER. I don't care if youve never handled a paint gun, now is the time. any cheap ass gun will do. Prime it up, and go really heavy on the damaged area. You can even fill it till it runs, it doesn't matter. Let it dry, get out your 220 sandpaper and go to town by hand. you will have a perfect cover in no time.

After going half a$$ed with spray can jobs, I tried a proper paint job, and the difference was night and day, even with my limited skills.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

that should be no problem then.i have shot a TA and 1 bike already.it was just getting something to bond on the cover. thanks gary

Comment

Suggestion. I have sanded before and it was painful, to say the least. When I needed to repaint my front fender last year, I soaked it in DOT3 brake fluid for about 3 days. Re-applied each day and kept it in a plastic garbage bag, wrapped up. The paint literally rubbed off with a paper towel. I kid you not. Right down to the bare plastic. It was amazing. I then primed it and painted it and next time will apply a layer of clear coat finish. Here's a picture of the fender after the brake fluid and the painted finish.

Comment

After the paint - should have applied clear coat but didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 82glx View Post
                    After waiting over a month fo my sidecovers one showed up yesterday.What a piece of junk.My order was for both covers with badges.cost 110.00.They said those were lost in the mail and would send another set.Well the one that did come has no badge and s very rough to say the least.There is a small patch at an attempted repair.Tabs are solid.Whatis the best way to sand and prep for paint.Also need to fill holes where the badges were.I have to bring these around because at present i am laid off and need bike done.This is for a Gs 650 Glz and these are hard to get.NEED HELP will try to post pic later
                    not to rub salt, but you got scammed/screwed badly. Those covers are pieces of $hit.... and not even worth $50. Post up negitive feedback on the jerkoff that screwed you so we can all be aware of the seller, and this doesn't happen to someone else !

Comment

The place is Stockers in Chula Vista Ca.Orignal order 2 side covers with badges 110.00.First order lost in mail??????????.Second order 1 repaired 1 good.Just the one you see came yesterday.The other one lost???????????.All i can get back is 55.00.Keeping the one because they are hard to find.Now searching for a lefty gs650glz.

Comment

Refunded me only 45.00 not my 55.00 BEWARE

Comment

To get the old paint off, soak them in 90+ % iso alcohol. I have the same covers, 82 gs650gl, and that's what I used. They had multiple coats of spray paint. Soak for 1 full day and use a plastic scraper. You may need to soak again, or it might work in an evening. The alcohol does not harm the plastic and won't hurt your hands. As far as filler, use spot putty for scratches and shallow repairs.

Comment

i have a lower fairing cover that was scratched and cracked i used my dremel tool to widen the crack a lil bit then roughed it up with it and used jb weld on it to fill the deep scratches and the crack.i sanded the jb weld carefully with 80 grit then i primed it then used spot/glazing putty on the area and then wet sanded it.not to brag it turned out very good.will find out better how it looks after this friday when i paint the rest of the bike.

Comment

Dont Forget the Flex agent when you paint them

Years ago I restored a CB400T Type2 which included painting the sidecovers. I used lacquer instead of enamel but both getbrittlewhenthey dry. After the paint dried and I went to install the covers the FLEX that happens when the nubs engage in the gromets on the frame caused the paint to crack and while it remained adheared to the plastic covers the cracks were noticable. The automotive paint stores sell a chemical you mix with the paint called FLEX AGENT,that you can use to paint things like the plastic bumpers on cars and dashboards. If you havent considered getting the Flex agent I would recommend it, it would eliminate the cracks and give your paint enough give to keep it looking great even after it was installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X