Sharring some pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharring some pics

So I have been slowly working on a cafe project and here are some progress pics. Its not done yet but I am getting pretty close.

Here is how it started $400.00 1981 GS750 pulled out of the back of a garage where it had bee sitting for 4 or 5 years

Stripped off everything that dosent make it run. Added clubmans, 4 into 1 kerker, pods and I am now finishing up my home made cafe tail. Battery is under the tail.

Relocated electronics and battery pan

Sorry this last pic didnt come out to well I will post some later

I still have spoked rims to put on it yet and a good detail and touch up the paint on the frame areas.

Lookin' good mumma.

Keep us posted.

Comment

I'd consider relocating your r/r for better cooling.
      Looks cool.

Comment

Its kinda hard to tell from the pics but the front of the "electrical pan" (for lack of a better term) is open in the front just behind the pods and there is a 1/2 gap under the seat by design specifically for cross air ventilation. Compared to where it was before I figured it would actually get better air flow. But I will keep an I on it. Thanks.

Comment

Gday mate.
          The bike looks good.
          Having just relocated all of my electrics in a similar way to you. I have a suggestion. You will gain a whole lot of room and extra cooling if you move the r/r someplace else. I mounted mine in the frame down tubes. Made life a lot easier.
          Cheers

Comment

what kinda spoke rims, keep in mind that wire wheels can generally be heavier than mags. Just thought i'd mention that since you talked about cutting weight. Bike's look great though keep it up

Comment

was under the impression spokes were lighter.

Comment

The spoke rims on my 750 are alot heavier than the mags for the same 750. This was the reference i was going by

Comment

wheels

find a set of 78-79 gs1000 spoke wheels. they have aluminum rims. lighter than the steel. maybe a set from an older yamaha xs 650. some of them are also aluminum
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: goofed

Comment

I already have a set of spoked rims from a 77 GS750 I got from a member on here.
                    If they are a little lighter or a little heavier I dont really mind I just really like the old school look of spoked rims.
                    I have taken weight into consideration on some things but at the end of the day it is still a 500+ pound 70hp machine with a 290 pound rider. I dont think I will be breaking any speed records if you know what I mean. LOL!

I finally got the seat all final fabricated and bolted on I will have to get some pics up tomorrow to see what you guys think of my latching system.

The only thing left are some of the small details not sure how I want to finish the tail section.
                    I considered paint, cover it in leather, cover in metal and paint clear coat, not sure.

Comment

Lookin good! It'll be interesting to see how the seat comes out.
                      Where'd the headlight come from?

One of the most chronic problems with these bikes electrical systems is the R/R.
                      It's location prevents it from getting enough air so it over heats.
                      This condition causes other problems in addition to the R/R.

Most people move it somewhere near the horn. As KiwiGS said, "I mounted mine in the frame down tubes."
                      This change will alleviate a LOT of headaches down ther road (pun intended), as it most often fails when out riding.

Comment

The thing I have not shown in the pics yet is that the seat shown is just the seat frame.
                        There is a stainless steel pan that will be padded covered in leather and velcroed to the seat frame. I will get some pics up as I progress.

emjay the headlight came from http://www.cycletherapy.com/ I believe it was in the $40.00 range brand new. The picture doesnt really do it justice its a pretty nice light for the money. Very bright I am going to put a halogen in it for this year.

People keep commenting on the R/R I will have to take another look at it. The main reason for putting it where it is and the design of the seat frame was for better ventilation from the stock position. There is going to be allot of air going through that area directly under the seat. I guess it wouldnt be that big of a deal to move it though. I will have to take another look at it.

Comment

If you're not putting the case guards back on, let me know how much you want for them. I'm just outside Chicago.

Comment

Working...
                          X