Getting Engine Painted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Engine Painted

So I have a 1983 GS750 engine I am considering rebuilding. I was wondering what the best way to go about getting the engine painted would be? Any advice on taking it some place to get cleaned up and painted?

I've painted lots of engines with good results. All it really takes is time and patience, because like any paint job, the key is in the prep work. The engine has to be perfectly clean. Sanding anything you can get a piece of 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper on is important, but clean is critical. I spent a couple of weeks on the GS1000S that I'm doing right now prepping it for black paint. It's tedious, but very rewarding when it's done. Lacquer thinner is good to clean with, as is carb/brake cleaner before spraying because it leaves zero residue. DupliColor engine enamel is an excellent spray paint to use. Clean, sand, clean again, lightly prime, then 3-4 good wet coats of color.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Duplicolor engine enamel will work, just as nvr2old stated....it has to be clean, I use prep solvent as my last clean then follow with a tack cloth. If you are painting over any areas that were polished originally you need to scuff it to make the paint stick, long term.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and prime with a self etching primer. Duplacolor makes one. Its a pea green color, which makes painting nice as the contrast will help you see what youve painted and what you missed. IF you have access to a sand blaster, it will speed things up, but you will need to do a perfect job of taping and plugging all the little ports and screw holes. May I also sugesst you do the cylinder heads with a heat barrier paint like the one Techline has. You can about the benifits for yourself to see if you feel its worth it. After all that sanding, wipe it down with a rag wet with prep and let it dry a few minutes before starting to apply color or primer.

Comment

As stated above, the most important part of the job is the prep. Get everything spotlessly clean. Then mask, prime, and paint. I also baked my stuff in an oven.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Sand or bead blasting

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
            Do yourself a favor and prime with a self etching primer. Duplacolor makes one. Its a pea green color, which makes painting nice as the contrast will help you see what youve painted and what you missed. IF you have access to a sand blaster, it will speed things up, but you will need to do a perfect job of taping and plugging all the little ports and screw holes. May I also sugesst you do the cylinder heads with a heat barrier paint like the one Techline has. You can about the benifits for yourself to see if you feel its worth it. After all that sanding, wipe it down with a rag wet with prep and let it dry a few minutes before starting to apply color or primer.
            Sand/bead blasting is definitely the way to go bud HEED the advice on doing a PERFECT job of taping and plugging all the holes. You don't wan't that crap anywhere inside your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleblue View Post
              Sand/bead blasting is definitely the way to go bud HEED the advice on doing a PERFECT job of taping and plugging all the holes. You don't wan't that crap anywhere inside your motor.

your bike is so incredibly sick. I'd much rather have that than a new bike.

Comment

Never to be sold.....

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                your bike is so incredibly sick. I'd much rather have that than a new bike.
                Thanks for the compliment..... wherever I go on it with my friends, they turn green with all the attention it gets. (Somehow , I just never get tired of that) And there's always someone trying to buy it.... It will never be for sale... It's a long story.....Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleblue View Post
                  Thanks for the compliment..... wherever I go on it with my friends, they turn green with all the attention it gets. (Somehow , I just never get tired of that) And there's always someone trying to buy it.... It will never be for sale... It's a long story.....Thanks again.

no prob.

Sooooo... how much you want for it? lmao jk

Comment

Working...
                  X