Question about Gaiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Gaiters

The lower portion of my upper tubes are fine. No pits or rust. The upper, above the most compressed portion, is, well nasty. I intend on cleaning the mess with some Evapo-Rust and resealing the effected area. Im not looking to paint, but I would like to do something like a set of gaiters. Do these replace the fork boot or install over it? I havent found a clear picture that would tell.

Thanks.

Hi Hammered,

they fit instead of the dust seals, i've just put some on my build.

Comment

Thanks Yaddy. Whered you get yours? Ive found a couple places but more resources are better. I dig the Knee tank. Reminds me of my Triumph days. I miss them things.

Comment

I would like to put some on my bike for the same reason and also to protect the part that is still good from going bad. They're all over and not too much but where do you measure the forks to find out what size to get? Or does anyone know what size for an 82 gs850gl?

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
          I would like to put some on my bike for the same reason and also to protect the part that is still good from going bad. They're all over and not too much but where do you measure the forks to find out what size to get? Or does anyone know what size for an 82 gs850gl?
          You measure the upper tube. On my GS 750 its 35mm and the area where your dust boot sits. And the lower fork on the 750 is 58mm

The area where the black dust boot is at the top red tag and they should be as long as from where the dust boot is to the where your bottom steering clamp is.

Comment

gaiters

Most motorcycle shops of any size with parts depts. can order a set. A good aftermarket generic set can be had for around 25.00.. Also the usual place places like dennis kirk or ebay have them

Comment

Thanks for the comments on my tank Hammered, bikes coming along nicely now.

With regards to the gaitors, i can't help you as to where to get them from. I just bought a set of forks off egay and swapped the stanchions over, these gaitors were already on the forks so i thought i'd keep em.

Comment

These boots

Went on my bike and look like this:

I like em, and shoot, they were cheap! The sloppiness is gone now after some actual use.

loudest143

Comment

Originally posted by loudest143 View Post
                  These boots

Went on my bike and look like this:

I like em, and shoot, they were cheap! The sloppiness is gone now after some actual use.

loudest143
                  Nice. The fork legs will be painted the next warm day I have in the shop and the new rebuild kit will go in so Ill have to get a set soon.

Comment

Dirt bike stores pretty much always have them. Cut them to length at the bottom end and zip tie.
                    S.

Comment

Working...
                    X