X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph Thruxton has some ideas.

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I really like the look of what they were doing on the website I posted. I wonder if it would be possible to shape the seat to how I like it, and then to fab some sort of cowl to go over the rear seat when not using it?
    Go to Triumph and have a look at the Thruxton. http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2009%20...xton_9831.aspx
    Look at these pics of the Triumph Thruxton, I'm using these as a guide for my own project:
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

There is a technique for making a cowl that is quite easy. Its called drape forming and uses ABS plastic sheet available from plastics supply companies. Usually you have to buy a 4'x8' sheet but you may be able to get smaller off cuts. You want something in 3 to 5mm thickness.

Now what you need to do is make a wooden form in the shape of the cowl. Now you need to heat up the sheet so you can form it over the cowl plug. Two ways to do this. One you can soften up the plastic with a portable heat source like a paint removing heat gun or even a butane flame. Start at the center of the piece and as soon as it starts to sag place it on the form and continue to heat it so it "sags" over the form. You can gently help it into position with a piece of dowl or the like but be gentle as you can leave marks in the plastic. Let it cool and trim the edges.

A better method is a little trickier but works much better. You need to make two strap metal frames like picture frames and sandwich the plastic between them. There needs to be enough room inside the frame to fit over the form. Heat the sandwich in the oven at 200degF until the plastic visible droops. the more droop the better. Have the form close to hand and when ready pull the plastic/frame out and press over the form. Hold in place until cool.

This is the method used to form commercial products and even sportbike bodywork but in addition to heating the plastic, they draw it down over the form on a vacuum table. You can easily build a vacuum table yourself and do a real pro job but draping works for simple projects.

Give it a whirl and learn something else new.

Let us know what you do.

Cheers and good luck with it .
      Spyug

This is a cowl on the back seat portion of the 500 Virago i had. My first effort at "customizing"

Comment

Haha! Last night I just thought of this exact idea, hopped onto google, typed in "MAke fiberglass seat" and saw a good number of sites on how to make a removable cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Go to Triumph and have a look at the Thruxton. http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2009%20...xton_9831.aspx
          Look at these pics of the Triumph Thruxton, I'm using these as a guide for my own project:
          I like that look for sure. These are the one's with a seat under the rear plastic right? I would love for it to look like that.

I'm trying to gather ideas for this winter in which I'm thinking I want to mod the looks into a cafe racer style.

Comment

Here is an idea that one manufacturer used to put on their bikes. Your gonna build one try this

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              That Thruxton/Bonneville is the perfect bike, IMHO, at least for my needs. It has history, reliability, real world performance ability and looks. And no puddle under the motor in the morning. Come to think of it, my GS650 is like that and its paid for!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                Nobody has pics, because it wouldn't look good.

The idea behind a cafe bike was not having ANYTHING on the bike you don't need. Last time I checked, tail cowls were less than "needed". On top of that, though I' haven't weighed the GS seat so it may not apply, I know my CX seat above weighed less than what a lot of people thought was a good "cafe" tail and custom seat. On top of that, my wife and I were able to cruise around comfortably all day.

If you're actually trying to do a cafe bike then work on ditching all the unnecessary stuff and stop over-thinking the cosmetic things. If you're just wanting to be one of the poseur wanna-be's then who the hell cares...
                Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post

The idea behind a cafe bike was not having ANYTHING on the bike you don't need. Last time I checked, tail cowls were less than "needed". On top of that, though I' haven't weighed the GS seat so it may not apply, I know my CX seat above weighed less than what a lot of people thought was a good "cafe" tail and custom seat. On top of that, my wife and I were able to cruise around comfortably all day.

If you're actually trying to do a cafe bike then work on ditching all the unnecessary stuff and stop over-thinking the cosmetic things. If you're just wanting to be one of the poseur wanna-be's then who the hell cares...
                  Regardless of practicality, I for one also like to admire the appearance of the bike I'm approaching to ride. I bought a CX500 brand new in 1978 and found it great but, lets face it, a bit funny-looking. You seem to have solved that one problem-yours looks functional and much lighter than the stocker. Getting rid of that unnecessary headlight cowling may not have lightened it much, but it made it a lot better looking. The CX is a great ride and just needed help in the appearance department. The cafe approach seems to go a long way towards fixing this. I don't think my poor old back could live with the clubman bars, but IMHO, superbike or Daytona bars would just as well serve the purpose. As for the seat, the size was accentuated by its enormous tailight, but functionally it was very comfortable two-up. Removing the big tailight, though not a weight saver, helps the appearance immensely while retaining good passenger capability. Lookin' good!
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

The seat I made for this bike is considerably shorter than original but could still carry two.
                    This has an aluminum seat base that is formed tight to the frame rails and has cut down foam and a restitched cover. The fuel tank is 4½ longer than stock and narrowed right to the rails at the rear.
                    I built it for racing when the bike was new and I expect with a set of rear pegs I could carry the wife on the back now.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post

Hmmm, I didn't know there was a code to follow....

Comment

Anyone that states how a cafe bike should look, is a poser in my opinion and I totally agree with Makenzie. I actually have started to dislike the word "cafe" because of this. There are also those who prescribe to the idea that only a british bike can be made into a cafe racer. These folks are the biggest posers of all. Makenzie, I love your Honda. It reminds me of a bike I'd see in a Mad Max film. As for my bike, the previous PO cut the tubing off from the frame that attaches the back foot pegs for the passenger, so I am pretty much forced at this point to keep it as a single unless I weld something or other to make something work. I would have loved to have the option to have a girl hold me snuggly while I am taking her home to her or my place. It seems my only option is to pay her cab, and say something like, "I'll meet you at your (my) place." This kinda sucks. I like the word "streetfighter" more these days than cafe, even if one keeps with the more vintage mods in comparison with modern streetfighter ones. Just my opinion.

Comment

How about tracking down one of these:

Giuliari - IMHO looks the part and reasonably comfortable 2-up.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

here http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...088232973.html

Comment

I actually have started to dislike the word "cafe" because of this
                              Me too, because when I built my 550 that is pictured above it was a Cafe bike. As true as could be. Interesting that when put in storage for 27 years it is no longer a Cafe bike. Humm which changed. A true cafe bike or peoples opinion of what a bike should be.

But then again, it is not a British bike so it can and never will be a true cafe bike.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I agree with mackenzie on some points. But cafe bikes were also supposed to look like race bikes of the day. Which sometimes included tail cowls, low slung bars. A brit versoin of the american "chopper", but built for the twisty roads. any bike inmho can be cafe style. I've seen some pretty badass motoguzzis, vintage cb 750 hondas and bmw cafe bikes. I don't even want to talk about duactis, they really get my heart pumping. here is my old yamaha. Here is a link with some cafe style bikes with cowl, without cowl, hell some barely even have seats http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/postc...aspx?cat_id=19
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X