to fender or not to fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to fender or not to fender

I'm in the process of "cafeing" my '77 750. kinda looking for some of the pros/cons if i take the front fender off, to compliment the "raw, racer" look. I have only a few years experience in riding, so I'm always looking for advice.

Thanks in advance.

I will never forget the first day I rode in the rain on my FZ1 after I put the "Fender Eliminator" kit on the back... Let's just say that you would not want to ride behind me with the 190 wide tire and no rear fender... love the look, but man alive how stupid those fender eliminator kits are in practice...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by huzier View Post
      I'm in the process of "cafeing" my '77 750. kinda looking for some of the pros/cons if i take the front fender off, to compliment the "raw, racer" look. I have only a few years experience in riding, so I'm always looking for advice.

Thanks in advance.
      If you never intend to ride in rain or snow then your only likely foes is a rock thrown up into your face

smallish things though couldnt possibly hurt you........unless your going with the combo fender\visor elimination kit.....

Personally I adhere tot he form follows function school of design and removing the fender removes a pretty damned important function especially for poor sods in your wake.

The fender is therefore beautiful and should stay.

Comment

I say keep the fenders. My bicycle that I used for racing had no fenders, it was brutal in nasty weather, my touring bicycle I put fenders on as it came without. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without fenders, cafe or not, I prefer not to have all that road stuff thrown up at me from the front and rear.

Comment

How about a compromise? I chopped mine down so that it is pretty short, but still shields me and the engine from a lot of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
            How about a compromise? I chopped mine down so that it is pretty short, but still shields me and the engine from a lot of crap.

What a sweet bike very very nice.

My engine has a worn line from the water that spits back below the fender. It actiually looks like the metal has worn.......I love riding in rain though.

Perhas tires should or could be made with chines ( I think thats what they are called ) like on aircraft tires

Comment

The shortened fenders are much better than the no fender concept. Actually, I think in some states (I may be wrong) fenders are a requirement for all vehicles operated on road. Off-road you can do whatever you want, but I'd definetly have those rubber bendable fenders on an off-road bike too.

Comment

Working...
              X