wheel, fork change over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel, fork change over

anybody know if a 87 yamaha fz 600 fork and wheels will fit on my 78 gs 1000 without a lot of head ache?? have a chance at getting a free one and thinking about swapping some parts for better handling and looks. Not real fond of the way my gs takes corners. would rather update than sell it.

I wouldnt be sure the FZ's forks are sprung enough to handle the weight of the GS...so springs FOR SURE would be a concern... Plus, there are quite a few OTHER bikes that are pretty much BOLT on for the front end. The problem becomes that of you've beefed up the front end, now the rear end will show up WORSE. Now, just from a realistic standpoint, Im 6'4, 260LBS, and, after I replaced the stock fork springs with Progressive brand springs, fitted a fork brace, and got GOOD rear shocks and tires, Im able to drag hardware on my 1100ES, and cause myself to grab vinyl with my arse LONG before the bike breaks loose or gets scary. I think you MIGHT be better off updating THESE parts before fitting NEW, modern suspension. And, if at that point you find its still not adequate, maybe go forth with an upgrade, or for about the same money, buy a Bandit....just my .02. I'd be more than happy to go over some suspension upgrade ideas using the stock stuff with you if youd like. What model GS is it that you think isnt handling well? Mind you, in MY mind, the FRAME is likely the most limiting factor on these old machines... If you're HONESTLY dragging knees, you may consider frame bracing if you decide to to heavy mods to the suspension, otherwise it may be moot...

Comment

i appreciate what your saying and the and the words of wisdom. I just thought about the wheels and fork due to the dual front brake and lower wider wheels. i dig corner burning my buell, but the old gs with an updated look and better would kick. Maybe a lot of it is the look factor also. Not really interested in a bandit, just got rid of an fj 1200 that really kicked. Just not a corner burner.. Some of the 1200 bandits aren't my idea of a corner burner, great straight line though

Comment

Originally posted by atb1998 View Post
        i appreciate what your saying and the and the words of wisdom. I just thought about the wheels and fork due to the dual front brake and lower wider wheels. i dig corner burning my buell, but the old gs with an updated look and better would kick. Maybe a lot of it is the look factor also. Not really interested in a bandit, just got rid of an fj 1200 that really kicked. Just not a corner burner.. Some of the 1200 bandits aren't my idea of a corner burner, great straight line though
        Well, a Bandit would be every bit of a corner burner a GS afixed with modern suspension components would be. The limiting factor on the GS here would be weight obviously, and then the frame. Granted some of the guys who have done these modern suspension mods have gained exceptional results from doing so, comparitively speaking. Especially so those who've gone the extra mile and done necessary frame bracing and gusseting in the flex areas of the frame to make them stiffer. But, and again, just MY standpoint on this subject, as at MANY points I have considered, and STILL consider doing these modifications is end product cost vs whats available that will do the same on the market currently.

Sure, you can bargain shop, and find the needed parts, GSXR wheels, brake systems, forks, Bandit swingarm, nice expensive gas charged shocks, or monoshock assemblies, etc etc, and probably get all these parts together for less than 1500 bucks or so, especially right now since the market is soft for parts and bikes. But then the ADDED HIDDEN costs: Bearings, machine work, new rotors, brake pads, cables etc etc and you could be looking at well over 2-3 grand. And THATS not even including YOUR time in it, OR the initial cost of the bike. For that SAME money, you could have a REALLY nice, low miles 02-03 Bandit 1200, or even for a little more an FZ1 or the like. Still that nice comfortable "standard UJM" style seating position, more power, and all the modern suspension and braking. And I can tell you that an FZ OR a Bandit can make a very acceptable corner burner...track bike? Not so much, but neither would your GS be, except maybe VinMoto, and in that case, all the modern stuff would be illegal. But, I digress on that.

I guess the point FOR ME is, if I WANT that kind of bike, modern bits and all, I could BUY that kind of bike for the same or LESS money, than BUILDING that kind of bike. Now, at some point in the future, I have in mind to do a COMPLETE GROUND UP GS1100E Cafe/Streetfighter build, with all of the above parts, BUT, thats only because I WANT to build it, to have something unique, one off if you will. And if THAT is what you're going after, then my friend, I would be more than interested in watching the thread, and offering whatever advice I may have in the process, and if you lived closer, Id be happy to get my hands dirty in helping. Im far from a "pureist" as it were. And since MOST of these mods are "Bolt On" even the pureist guys cant complain TOO much.. And, truth be told, I think that MOST if not ALL of the guys who've DONE these mods know that. The bottom line is: Done well, they simply LOOK BAD ASS, and bravo to YOU for simply admiting that from jump street. Some guys will swear up and down they did it simply to make the bike perform better. My idea for my cafe/streetfighter project would, again, simply be because I want a sweet looking bike, that functions as well as looks sweet. But if you're just looking to have a bike that HANDLES like a corner carving monster, the cost of building one out of a GS vs whats available right now on the used market that could do it better AND still be comfy, to me, doesnt add up. And its hard explaining that to some of these guys. Some seem to think that doing these things will in fact make their GS handle like a GSXR. It simply isnt the case.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2009, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Well i was considering the fz for swap over parts because i can get a complete runner, less title for free. I probably wouldn't consider it otherwise due to the cost versus value factors

Comment

I seem to rememeber someone here have a FZR front end fitted... He later sold the front end to someone else on here from memory & went with a sportbike front end.... No idea who has it now.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would assume that the forks would be too short meaning you would be dropping your front end and reducing clearance.

Comment

Check the length... you want about 32" from centre of axle to top of fork tubes. Much less than about 31" & you'll struggle for clearance.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X