Yet Another Cafe Build (my first)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another Cafe Build (my first)

Here we go!!!! I've riding for 2 years and have 2 bikes. So, I'm giving my self a cafe racer project and decided to document it ( and pick the brains ) to the GS masses.

Here's what started with...

and here's what I've done so far....

Comment

Now it's time for the rear...I plan on cutting it back and maybe using the original tail piece as part of the cafe seat. I do also have my eye on an ebay cafe seat with built-in tail light (not sure how to post a link yet).

Comment

I re-purposed my ducktail for my build. I really like the look of it, and it's a pretty cheap and easy option.

Comment

looking for ideas, thoughts, suggestions....i plan on using plywood as my seat deck. What different methods has everyone used to mount onto the frame, other than taking the hinges off of my old seat.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Aluminum plate works really good for a base. Just be careful not to shorten up the tail too much. Fork boots? Looks good!

Comment

those are on my list. also exchanging my drag bars for clubmans.

Comment

This bike is one of the nicest Suzuki cafe builds I have ever seen.
                It is just about the definition of cafe build IMHO.
                Search on yaddy and check out his build. Very nice job.

PS Rebuilt wire wheels with shouldered alloy rims and two disks up front always looks right on a cafe bike.

Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by huzier View Post
                  looking for ideas, thoughts, suggestions....i plan on using plywood as my seat deck. What different methods has everyone used to mount onto the frame, other than taking the hinges off of my old seat.

Thanks in advance
                  I used plywood for my base as well. I covered it in a few layers of fiberglass resin for rigidity and to keep it from rotting. For mounting, I drilled a couple of holes in the crossbrace and bolted the seat to the frame. It works, but is inconvenient and not the best way to do it. I will be closing up the holes and welding in a new crossbrace with purpose built holes for a hood pin type mount that I can hold in with cotter pins or the like. Much easier to remove and I don't have to hassle with tools to do it. I'll be making a new seat base out of steel or aluminum as well for this. The wood worked, but I want a cleaner look once I'm done.

Comment

after my cuts. still have to debate whether I'm using the hinges or not (might make the seat a little wide)

Comment

after my cuts. still have to debate whether I'm using the hinges or not (might make the seat a little wide)
                      Decide on a seat before ya cut anymore off the rear frame and go from there.
                      Dont be cheap on the seat. If you want it to look right ya need a good looking seat, not something sheet metal screwed to the frame.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

you're right, Octain. I keep going back & forth whether I want to buy a fiberglass seat that's already padded, or make my own ( to be original ).
                        Thanks for confusing me more!!!

Comment

Hope this link works, here's the one that i'm looking at. Would like to know what everyone thinks.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cafe-...Q5fAccessories

Hope this link works, here's the one that i'm looking at. Would like to know what everyone thinks.
                            I like that seat but the only problem with buying one thats already padded is it will have to be an *exact* fit. Kinda hard to do any trimming or shapping.
                            I bought the longest I could find, trimmed it where I wanted.
                            Also that tail section is more of a dirt tracker look. I wanted something that kinda matched the lines of the tank.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

My seat deck is coming along. The 1/2 plywood will work nicely i think. Once it's all mocked up i will be painting it black, then padding it. I don't see how some of you guys can ride on a solid surface....

Comment

Working...
                              X