Considering new bars but don't know what kind to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering new bars but don't know what kind to get

Hello folks. I'm having a hard time with my stock handlebars. I own a 1981 GS850GX. I broke my right wrist years ago when I was about 15 yrs old (I'm 47 now) and it acts up every now and then. The stock bars on my bike are at an angle to where my wrists are twisted outward and after an hour or so it begins to ache.

I used to own an 84 Honda CB450SC and those bars were more straight and I didn't have to twist my wrists outward like I do with the GS. I'd like to get new bars that are more like that. One thing I don't want is drag bars as they're too low, short, straight, etc.

Can anyone suggest a brand/model/size of bars, OR another year/make/model of bike I can swap them from? I go to the stores and check them out, but there is only so much you can do in the store - I mean you can't take them out and size them up without buying them first. So, I figured there's got to be someone here that's been where I am that can point me in the right direction.

Any and all suggestions will be considered.

Thanks and happy riding!

Jim

Daytona or Superbike bend will probably suit you the best.

Comment

Have a look at the stock '82 or '83 GS1100E bars, they'll bring you forward just a bit and they're not as wide as earlier 1100E bars. You can see pics of this bar using the link in my sig.

I broke my wrist a long time ago and find clip-ons and superbike bars pull me too far forward placing too much weight on my wrists (painful after 15 min.). Here's a link to a vendor that lists the '82 1100E bar for sale: http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_p...100E,ES/28.htm

One additional thing to consider - cable and controls length. Your 850G cables and controls should be long enough but be aware they may have to be changed to accommodate the new bar length/height. Good luck!

Comment

Bars

This is my 850 with superbike bars. Used the clutch and throttle cable from a 1980 1000S.

80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

go for the high rise superbike bars mate. really comfortable and wide enough to give you good leverage to haul that bike round corners
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I liked the stock handlebars from a 450, they are lower but had a nice angle to the ends.
            In the end it will be an individual thing, what works for you will be up to you to find out....

Maybe just bend your existing bars a little straighter?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll look into everything you've suggested.

1100E & Bill C. - SWEET lookin rides there guys. No way does mine look that good, but then again I haven't spent a whole lot of time cleaning either. I'm repainting mine over this winter. Gonna go with an Ohio State Buckeye theme. Maybe if the Sun, Earth, and moon can get in the right alignment mine will someday look as good as yours.

1100E - I like your bars.

Bill C -I like your bars too and the mirrors are killer. I'm diggin the turn signals too.

Thanks guys

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Bill C. View Post
                This is my 850 with superbike bars. Used the clutch and throttle cable from a 1980 1000S.

Not to hijack. but that's a very nice looking 850 Bill C,.....the bars and mirrors give it a great line!

I have Superbike bend bars on the 11E, but they do place more rider weight on the arms, so may not be best, depending on the injury. Since it's the right wrist, I also highly recommend a Throttle Rocker (or any generic variant) that allows you to cruise without a tight grip on the bar.....makes a difference on all-day rides, and worth the $10 or so on ebay.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Hey Tony, thanks for the tips. I'm not into extra weight on my arms either which is why I don't ride a crotch rocket. I've considered a throttle rocker as well because with the angle of the handgrips I find I'm primarily gripping with either my thumb and forefinger or my pinky and bottom of my palm - never with my whole hand and that's got A LOT to do with my wrist hurting.

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

I just got a superbike bars from Bike Bandit..good price..I'm not a big fan of the clubman bars..look cool but the superbike bars are still low but a bit more comfortable riding position...I used the stock cables but may end up seein g what cables are shorter..

DDM

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words guys.
                      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Working...
                      X