Project 1980 750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project 1980 750E

Well I couldn't pass it up a bargain on Craigslist. Included the title, 2 keys and the owners manual. Bike is pretty solid has all its parts, was licensed and running last year. You cannot tell from the photo but there is a set of K&N pods installed under the airbox cover. As long as the engine is good its getting restored close to original with the exception a few little bling ideas of my own. Don't worry Isleoman its going to storage until the 1100 is complete.

Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2009, 07:36 PM.

Nice find Joe.

Comment

I wouldn't have been able to pass it up either.

Nice one !!!!
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Nice....seat looks in great shape....
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Nice....seat looks in great shape....
          Yeah based on the condition of everything else I 'm pretty certain it was replaced along the way..

Comment

Thinkin I may have found a home for those gsxr wheels that have been collecting dust..

classic sticky....

Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Those wheels would look excellent on it!
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                Those wheels would look excellent on it!
                Couldn't agree more! Soooo much better than wires.
                Congratulations on a real score! Having seen how your last project finished, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Good luck!
                Willie
                Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I don't agree I think they would look better on mine..... Great find.

Comment

don't do a thing to it, just gas and ride. thats an awesome find. remember its only original once

Comment

Unfortunately it will take more than gas, its pretty rough in areas..

Comment

I agree with the keep it simple and cheap philosophy on a bike like that. I'd look for a stock airbox to install, you can sell the K&N's for a profit to pay for more important parts. Get yourself some evapo rust or powdered deck cleaner (oxalic acid) and let those rusty parts soak for a while - mix the acid 0.1% by weight with water and it won't hurt the chrome. Make the bike a solid runner and get it repainted. Dumping money into it is a loosing proposition.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed,

The more I think about it your probably right, the only real expense would be the body work. One of the K&N's is damaged from the PO installing the chrome airbox cover over the top of them. The pipes actually are in excellent condition and the seat was obviously recovered at one point.
                          Beyond that its a matter of polishing up parts, I have a gallon of Evaporust sitting in my garage.

Comment

Man, that bike is a great score.

To me, the bike is a thing that exists to make me happy. So, yours is perfect; some of the parts could use some attention but modifying would make the purists vomit...but they 'need' it, so there is your excuse to do what you want to do to it!

Sure, stay basic; but just try to stay within a reasonable budget (surf eBay...you're not on any time-constraints are you?) and let this bike put a smile on your face.

I think this era of GS750 is one of the most under-appreciated and under-rated bikes in history. Those things flat move if you let 'em.

Any-who...it's your ride...I like it a LOT. Congrats and ENJOY!

-KR

Comment

Working...
                            X