Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit Rear Wheel / GS Hub

[/QUOTE]

Got a question concerning this combo. In the photo above (stolen from previous Katman thread) The inner lip of the GS Hub is not sitting inside the wheel cavity. I assume this is correct but just want to make sure.

If you pull out the rubber baby buggy bumpers that eat up the chain drive torque and you also take out the wheel bearing grease seal then the hub will sit inside the wheel cavity with the inner sleeve contacting the bearing directly. Deeper in looks cleaner but I don't think its right.

If you put back the grease seal then it will look like the pic shown. Its the collar inside the hub that accepts the axle sleeve that actually sits on the grease seal and causes the hub's lip to sit outside the wheel cavity.

The same is true if you use all the stock bandit parts and inner axle sleeve. If the grease seal is in place then the hub lip doesn't sit inside the cavity.

So I assume this is the correct look. The chain would probably start to hit the tire if the hub was any further in.

I've been using the GS Hub & inner sleeve in the past but didn't pay any attention to where the hub's lip was sitting till today. Just seems that sticking out like this would allow moisture to get in easier. Do folks doing this conversion stick with the GS tapered inner sleeve or switch over to the Bandit non tapered sleeve?

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
    Got a question concerning this combo. In the photo above (stolen from previous Katman thread) The inner lip of the GS Hub is not sitting inside the wheel cavity. I assume this is correct but just want to make sure.

If you pull out the rubber baby buggy bumpers that eat up the chain drive torque and you also take out the wheel bearing grease seal then the hub will sit inside the wheel cavity with the inner sleeve contacting the bearing directly. Deeper in looks cleaner but I don't think its right.

If you put back the grease seal then it will look like the pic shown. Its the collar inside the hub that accepts the axle sleeve that actually sits on the grease seal and causes the hub's lip to sit outside the wheel cavity.

The same is true if you use all the stock bandit parts and inner axle sleeve. If the grease seal is in place then the hub lip doesn't sit inside the cavity.

So I assume this is the correct look. The chain would probably start to hit the tire if the hub was any further in.

I've been using the GS Hub & inner sleeve in the past but didn't pay any attention to where the hub's lip was sitting till today. Just seems that sticking out like this would allow moisture to get in easier. Do folks doing this conversion stick with the GS tapered inner sleeve or switch over to the Bandit non tapered sleeve?[/QUOTE]

Tom,
    It is a little hard to follow the explanation but it sounds like when your grease seal is installed you don't have a load path through the wheel that is metal on metal. In other words, when you tighten the axle bolt the load should transfer from one side to the other by spacers and sleeves pressing directly against the inner races of the bearings on both sides. There should not be any rubber to steel interface in the load path.

BTW my 18" wheel conversion everything is homogeneous 88 GSXR 1100 stuff on the rear axle.
    Jim

Comment

That would actually be my rear end you are looking at . The hub is not snug in this photo it was a mock up. However as you can see from the photo there is room to spare. The biggest problem I encountered was the chain rubbing the Ohlins which has a longer coil than the stock suspension.

Comment

Joe, I assumed that was your bike as Katman credited photo to JW. Of course there's a lot of Ws in Texas.

Jim, I just re-read my question and can see how it might confusicate some.

Best to use pics.

Pic 1. Bandit Wheel, GS Hub, GS Axle Sleeve and grease seal installed, Hub not flush with wheel cavity rim.

Pic 2. Sleeve, grease seal and chain shock dampers removed Hub is flush.

Pic 3 GS Axle Sleeve in center of GS hub.

Comment

More Pics

Pic 4. Gs Axle Sleeve Left, Bandit Right. I've always used GS Sleeve it's shorter.

Pic 5. Bandit Sleeve sitting in Grease Seal and fully in contact with bearing below. Seems like its was designed for this seal.

Pic 6. GS Axle sleeve held above Grease Seal. Diameter of GS Axle sleeve doesn't allow it to penetrate grease seal and make contact with bearing. This is what's holding hub proud of the wheel cavity. (I think).
          Last edited by isleoman; 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Pic 7. Staged pic of GS Axle Sleeve from inside seal to show how it is not penetrating.

What I'm wondering is does the axle bolt force everything together or did I get my axle seals mixed up during powder coating and I should have one with a larger i.d from the GS wheel.

I checked the depth of the bearings and they are the same as my other bandit wheel so I think its fully seated.

Comment

Isleoman,

When I had my wheel powder coated my hub was really tight do to the thickness of the powder coating process. I had to actually assemble everything and tighten the axle bolt in order to get it to fit snug and in place. I used the GS sleeve also.

Joe
              Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Joe, If mine was only off by the amount that yours is in the first photo I would agree. I've done push ups on that hub to try and press everything together and it doesn't seem to help.
                Take the seal out and it works.

The problem seems to be the inner rim of the hub's center collar that accepts the sleeve. It seems to rest on the grease seal.

Seems like the grease seal's inner hole should be much larger dia. or the bearing isn't fully seated however everything is touching in terms of the bearing and the wheel's inner axle sleeve between the two bearings. Only other thing would be to omit the seal.

Comment

I may be wrong but does that sleeve go the other way , I dont have mine apart so not sure..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    I may be wrong but does that sleeve go the other way , I dont have mine apart so not sure..
                    Good try, but no it goes that way. If you flip it around it won't penetrate the outer bearing.

Comment

Yea, Tom that GS spacer doesn't look like a GS spacer.

Comment

No... that's the right way. I shortened the one on my 750 a bit to allow the hub to move over a little.

Looks like you have a mismatch between seal & spacer. The GS spacer is slightly smaller than the GSXR one in dia from memory so perhaps it's the same with the bandit.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Joe/Jim,

I'm almost certain that the pointed spacer (Item 7) in Joe's post is the GS1100 spacer (left side of my Pic 4) but thanks for showing that GS diagram. I realized that there is no grease seal between Item 7 and the bearing (Item 3 in the GS diagram above).

I must have pulled it off the other side of my old wheel and just assumed it went there cause it was the right o.d. The only grease seals on the chain side of the wheel are Items 14 (GS) and Item 16 (Bandit below) on the outside of the hub bearing, not the wheel bearing.

From the GS and Bandit (below) diagrams it looks like neither uses a grease seal between the wheel bearing and the spacer. Thanks for helping me work through this. You can see in the Bandit diagram that that spacer looks just like my photo #4 (right side). The spacer in the GS diagram isn't very well drawn. So I think it was that misplaced seal that was preventing the hub from seating to right depth. So my Pics 5 and 6 shouldn't have the seal installed in them

Last edited by isleoman; 12-28-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Deleted my post you have it right, I was looking at the GS sleeve wrong

Comment

Working...
                            X