Trailer Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Fender

Went to a swap and picked up a 6" trailer fender. Plan to eventually put it on my 78 gs750. I have not hardtailed it so I want to attach the fender to the swing arm, and keep the fender close to the tire. I have an idea of what to do, but thought I'd ask you all if you have done anything like this before. Thought of hiding the stuts behind the shocks and attaching the bottom part of the fender directly to the swing arm.

Thanks

Scudder

Fender adaption

One thing to be aware of is how much the fender will flex (if any) when bouncing around going over uneven surfaces, it really depends on the thickness of the metal the fender is fromed from. The last thing you want is to have the fender "dig" into your rear tire going a high rate of speed.

I have modded fenders before, and with thinner metal fenders, I like to cut an identical fender down to make a support bracket to go under the "show" fender to reinforce it as much as possible to keep the wobbles at bay. It is best to button hole (spot) weld the reinforcement to the new fender to make sure nothing shifts around on you, and to increase the resistance to flexing as much as you can. Think of it kind of like an upside-down canoe, if that helps .

Just my 1.82 cents. (Canadian to US Exchange rate)

Comment

Working...
    X