Got bored today so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got bored today so...

I made a couple things in the shop while anxiously awaiting my pipe and shims and brake parts....

Steering Dampner bracket for fork tube

Carb Overflow "trough" I guess you could call it..all into 1 Aluminum pipe with brass fittings pressed in 1 line out on the left side...a little overkill maybe but like I said was bored today..lol....sorry about the crappy Pic!

Actually, I really dig the fuel 'trough' idea. I had a similar idea cookin' with 'T' fittings and fuel line. Honestly, I like the look of yours better.

Actually, I bet one of those things would look frikkin' awesome in aluminum done up to match the cases...

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
      Actually, I really dig the fuel 'trough' idea. I had a similar idea cookin' with 'T' fittings and fuel line. Honestly, I like the look of yours better.

Actually, I bet one of those things would look frikkin' awesome in aluminum done up to match the cases...
      It is aluminum...its 5/8 6061 round tube...I just need to pull it off and do a polish on it yet..tough to tell its AL in the pic..

Comment

As you know by now, I love to fiddle too. That is some awesome "bodging" my friend. The fuel trough is genius. You could sell a ****load of them I'm sure. All polished up nicely they would look killer.

How about doing a "top'oiler kit too. they would sell easily as well.

Man I wish I had your skills.

Well done sir. Keep it up.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Had you SOAK TESTED those red caps in some gasoline for a bit to see the resistance factor to disolving? My only added suggestion would be to make small discs that would cap the end and have a local shop weld them over the ends. If you can get to that point in the construction i will buy two them for my 750s. maybe if it gets to a mass production venture get rights to use the Suzuki "S" and have that on each end ot the tube as well.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Those caps are commonly found on Truck parts that are shpped new..I have a ton of them at work,yep they are chemical resistant..gas/diesel/oil/brake fluid etc etc..tonite after work I'll get the tube polished up and get a pic or two of it off the bike..I dont know about selling anything...lol..was really just something I was fiddling around with..Thanks for the replies guys,much appreciated!

John

Comment

get it patented, find a company that can do production run quantities and get yourself financially set. Thats a great looking add on and it is worth every bit of time spent to get your idea registered and protected so others dont scalp your idea and wind up with the potential millions it holds. Dont use one of those rip off "got an idea?" things you see on TV either. Go in person to an actual patent attorney withn the device in hand and get going before someone else does. I might also suggest that you take some pictures with a date stamp on them to further prove you invented it .. if you would need to defend any patent claims in the future.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Get that bad boy polished up and get us a good pic. Hell of an idea!

Comment

i have seen a few variations on the overflow trough on bikes here in the UK. even tried a few designs myself. your design looks sweet mate. i may have to rethink again lol
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

here is my plan A version, may alter it a bit...

1978 GS1085.

Comment

And Suzuki didn't think of this because??????? Love the ideas guys. I may do this myself to my 850. I hate the individual hoses coming outta the bottom of all the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                        And Suzuki didn't think of this because???????
                        ...when carbs are new and properly adjusted they don't leak.

And maybe...

....not such a great idea to have a gas trough sitting right behind a hot motor??

Just sayin ....I do like the idea though
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                          ...when carbs are new and properly adjusted they don't leak.

And maybe...

....not such a great idea to have a gas trough sitting right behind a hot motor??

Just sayin ....I do like the idea though
                          it still has a drain, just 1 pipe instead of 4, and its angled so if any carb does leak, it drains out
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

What's stopping the gasoline from just flowing out of the bowls at all times when the petcock is on Prime?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                              What's stopping the gasoline from just flowing out of the bowls at all times when the petcock is on Prime?
                              the float needles should stop that, but if they are slightly worn then they could leak a bit
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X