removing acesories from bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing acesories from bars

How do I do this? I can easily take the left grip off and Im sure I can figure out how to take everything else off, except the acceleration grip! how does this come off? I searched and could find anything, but if I missed a thread, link?

The way I've takin mine off is as follows:

1- Unbolt the brake lever and swing it so the screws on the control are facing up.
    2- Unscrew the screws and be careful not to lose them (I did)
    3- Once the screws are out, the case SHOULD come apart; if not, lightly tap till it pops
    4- You should now see the cable attached to the sleeve, start rotating till it pops out
    (I guess you're replacin both grips)
    5- I used a pick tool and carb cleaner to get the grips off my bars. It makes them a lot easier to remove AND install. If they are foam grips, cut them off with a razor and disreguard steps 1-4.

Comment

thanks I will try this

Comment

When it comes time to reinstall your grips, I've always used my wifes hairspray, it helps it slide easily into place and then when it dries it holds very well, if you want to remove them at a later date just get a very firm grip on them and twist like you're opening a beer bottle and they will come off without damaging the grips whether you're using the foam or rubber grips.
        I've never had one come loose on me unless I actually wanted to remove it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
          The way I've takin mine off is as follows:

1- Unbolt the brake lever and swing it so the screws on the control are facing up.
          2- Unscrew the screws and be careful not to lose them (I did)
          3- Once the screws are out, the case SHOULD come apart; if not, lightly tap till it pops
          4- You should now see the cable attached to the sleeve, start rotating till it pops out
          (I guess you're replacin both grips)
          5- I used a pick tool and carb cleaner to get the grips off my bars. It makes them a lot easier to remove AND install. If they are foam grips, cut them off with a razor and disreguard steps 1-4.
          I got 1-3 done. Im not sure about the cable attached to the sleeve though. couldnt I just slide the entire thing off instead of taking off the grip and then what ever is under it?

Comment

You can try that. It may work. With the bars I had on there I couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
              I got 1-3 done. Im not sure about the cable attached to the sleeve though. couldnt I just slide the entire thing off instead of taking off the grip and then what ever is under it?
              Worked with mine. As said, depends on the bars. You may find you have to turn the bars one way or another to do it.

Comment

if you're taking off the rubber grip from the throttle grip tube, be darn sure you really want it off. there is a plastic tube with a ridge on the inside that the rubber grip is slipped over. I had a very hard time getting mine off, then an even harder time getting the new one on... thinking back I may have even broken it in the process...

but it sounds like you're just trying to get the throttle off the bars, it's pretty straight forward, just undo all the screws holding the two halves together and separate it. There is a tab on the inside of the throttle that pokes into a hole drilled in the bar to keep it from spinning if the clamps don't hold it tight enough. the throttle tube I referenced above will be on the bars, with the clamps off it. then you can release the cable end from it and slide it off.

you may well have to undo the cable from the carb, another PIA job to put back together if you don't have the carbs out...
                Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

yep was very simple, everything just slid right off. put my new bars on today but need to shorten them a little. for some reason the throttle is a little harder to turn now.. whats the solution to this?

Comment

After leaving my bike outside overnight in a heavy rain (I was at a hotel ) and then riding for eight hours in intermittent rain

my left grip turns freely.

Hmf.

Should I let it dry out real good,
                    or try the hairspray thing,
                    or somethin else?
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Let it dry out really good and put some grip glue on it...

Never tried the hair spray...
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Using glue makes it extremely difficult to remove the grips if you want to change them or remove them in order to remove the controls or something of that nature, using the hairspray holds just as good as glue except they can be removed without damaging the grips especially if you're using the foam type.

As you've already experienced, using water doesn't work very well especially if you're using foam grips they soak up the water then come loose.

My advice is avoid the glue and try the hairspray, it's easy to apply, just hold the grip vertical, spray inside all around, coat the whole surface, slide the grip onto the bars, the hairspray allows it to slide on easily. Give it at least overnight to dry, standard rule of thumb for dry time of glue, RTV or other silicone adhesives is twenty four hours, if you can let it dry for twenty four hours that would be the best.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                        X