Steel wool & WD-40 on black chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel wool & WD-40 on black chrome?

Anyone ever done this? I just got a replacement exhaust for the 1150, and it could use a cleanup. If it were traditional chrome, I'd do it without thinking twice, but I certainly don't want to mess up what looks like a really nice exhaust.

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
    Anyone ever done this? I just got a replacement exhaust for the 1150, and it could use a cleanup. If it were traditional chrome, I'd do it without thinking twice, but I certainly don't want to mess up what looks like a really nice exhaust.
    I did it. Worked just fine. Test in an inconspicuous place first..Like the crossover pipe facing the underside of the motor where no one might see it. I used 000 steel wool though and it didnt scratch the black.

Comment

Anything that touches the visible surface will erode the black finish - even common chrome cleaners. Steel wool is a no no if the black is important to you. In the end though removing oxidation may result in a larger improvement than degrading the black so everyone must judge for themselves.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, I was talking about the 0000 steel wool that doesn't harm silver chrome at all.

I was thinking the 0000 steel wool with WD-40, then following it with S-100 engine brightener.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
          Yeah, I was talking about the 0000 steel wool that doesn't harm silver chrome at all.

I was thinking the 0000 steel wool with WD-40, then following it with S-100 engine brightener.
          S-100 is great stuff too, I use it on my black motor, but make sure you get it all off. You MIGHT consider (and ive never done this, so take it for a grain of salt) after cleaning the pipe with the steel wool, shooting it with Duplicolour 500 degree CLEAR. At least the megaphones, the header pipes will get too hot for that. But it may help to seal the pipe to prevent future rust or corrosion...Just a thought..

Comment

How did this turn out? The black chrome on my '83 GS1100E exhaust looks like it has clear coat on the megaphones and it's peeling away from the foot pegs on back. Anybody had any luck doing a refinish on theirs? If so, how and what did you use?

Comment

Black Chrome

I agree with Nessism. I've seen black chrome lose its character when Simichrome was used. I would be extremely careful and use a very light touch in the use of steel wool. More subtle methods should be tried first. I would use non-abrasive petroleum based cleaners, after a good power washing to remove damaging grit.

Comment

The black coating is much less durable than chrome. The middle section and mufflers hold up pretty well to chrome cleaner and steel wool but the header pipes seem to degrade more easily. It's hard to notice while you're polishing but the black begins to fade into a sort of dark pewter color then gets lighter. I would use just chrome cleaner and very gently. If you get the pipes looking nice and shiny the small pits aren't very visible. If you get the pits out but the color fades it is more noticeable.

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                X