Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Paint

hey all.

Just going through some cosmetic projects. I'm trying to figure out which paint will give me the longest life without breaking the bank. so yes...powder coat is sadly out of the question. Im going for a flat black look. the issue seems to be what specific type of paint can I use, or is there a clear coating product that wont make the finish shiny. Im going with the rattle can approach.
    I have heard of POR-15 doing wonders, but is there a substitue that anyone can confirm?

Thanks,

Kev

Originally posted by coolksprt View Post
    hey all.

Just going through some cosmetic projects. I'm trying to figure out which paint will give me the longest life without breaking the bank. so yes...powder coat is sadly out of the question. Im going for a flat black look. the issue seems to be what specific type of paint can I use, or is there a clear coating product that wont make the finish shiny. Im going with the rattle can approach.
    I have heard of POR-15 doing wonders, but is there a substitue that anyone can confirm?

Thanks,

Kev

Do a search for some of RenoBruce's work. I think the key for most paints is being able to bake them to get them hard. Spug setup a home made over out of a heater in his garage.

Most of the POR-15 paints are glossy but I have been using a semigloss Por-15 Clear finish on striped bare wheels and like the results.

Comment

so would a heat gun that gets up to about 500 degrees do the trick then??

Kev

Comment

work it out money wise,time spent prepping, paint ,oven, heat gun, repainting in a couple of years!!!!!!!!!! powder coating lasts a lifetime. its a no brainer.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          work it out money wise,time spent prepping, paint ,oven, heat gun, repainting in a couple of years!!!!!!!!!! powder coating lasts a lifetime. its a no brainer.
          truthfully, being a highschool senior i have a good amount of extra time, which also comes resources. My teacher has a heat gun, sand paper and misc supplies for prepping. Just need some durable paint. Will the heat make ANY type of general paint last?

Thanks

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by coolksprt View Post
            truthfully, being a highschool senior i have a good amount of extra time, which also comes resources. My teacher has a heat gun, sand paper and misc supplies for prepping. Just need some durable paint. Will the heat make ANY type of general paint last?

Thanks

Kev
            fact powder coating will outlast rattle can by YEARS
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I will look more into powder coating i think. Just open to any other options some other members have come across.

Kev

Comment

Duplicolor makes wheel paint, and I can confirm it sprays out nicely. I doubt they make flat black though.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

DuPont Imron, is what I use. Always wear a respirator with this stuff though.

It outlasts any paint system by far, has the highest chemical resistance too.
                  I did a set of VF Interceptor wheels for my CB750F.

Comment

I happen to really like duplicolours products. Their rattlecan is pretty nice even though it's rattlecan. They make a wide variety and their high temp paint is one of my favs. Lasts quite a while on anything you put it on. Used it on all my wheels. Works well. Their new "low gloss black" is IMO the absolute closest you can get to the stock finish on all the black bits on these bikes. Even closer than PJ1. The colour matches the triple clamps and such perfectly. The semigloss black I use on frames. Damn close. And, their high temp clear coat works well as a protectant layer on your polished case covers.

Comment

Painting Wheels

Are you looking to polish the aluminum too? or just paint the entire wheel? If just painting the "gray" parts, a small can of rustoleum (or similar), a small paint brush, and some mineral spirits to wipe the excess off the bare aluminum works great and lasts for YEARS. Use a "stippling" effect with the brush I polish the aluminum first using the orange, then blue dico 3" mandrel mounted wheel on an electric drill, then paint with the color and sheen of choice.

If painting the entire wheel, powder coating is probably best.

Comment

Thanks for the idea Bruno. I may actually do that technique on a nother project next year.
                        But just lloking for the entire wheel.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                        X