Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint job question (rattle can paint)

Hi all,
    I am pretty much stuck doing a rattle can paint job on the GS850. I will need to do both the tank as well as the new cafe seat I will be getting. I have done a ton of painting. I used to restore grand pianos. However, that was all using lacquer.

I am still using the search function, but coming up with a lot of differing opinions. I am planing a British Racing Green, or as close as I can get, or even something like a primer grey and many coats of clear on top of both.

My question regarding paint is this, Can anyone point me to recommendation for quality base coat, as well as the toughest, most fuel resistant clear/topcoat that will adhere properly to the base coat? Can someone point me to a "rattle-can" paint job tutorial?

Thanks all,

Madcap

SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.

there is some guy who did a rattle can gs1000s that is beautiful.

Comment

they make a spray bomb but u can use automotive paint thats what i would do ive used it comes out pretty nice. i like ppg base coat and Dupont clear if interested i can get u some product numbers on the cheaper versions that are just as good let me know

Comment

Crazypaint....you have PM...I think

Comment

Can I get that info too? terrylee

Comment

If you're used to painting with lacquer, why switch? You should be able to get some Testors or Tamiya spray lacquer in the color you want and then use clear auto lacquer. Otherwise, it's hard to find spray lacquer in regular spray can's that isn't white, silver, or black. I've never had a problem with durability if it's properly cured (unless you get brake fluid on it of course...)

I haven't tried this, I've just used silver and black, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I see Tamiya has British Green.

Hobbylinc carries over 200 tamiya hobby and model lacquer paint at discounts up to 26%.

Comment

This guide is from the "In the Garage" section on the GSResources home page.

Comment

Over here we can get two pack in a can. I have used it once to paint my shocks, they will mix it to any colour you want. It isnt cheap but it works well.
                Just another option for you.

Comment

More great info, thanks guys!!!!

Comment

ok guys went to store today its made by Preval its called a spray gun it basically a arisol like can that has a glass jar on the bottom for the paint/clear

Comment

Working...
                    X