Cleaning the Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    this thread is worthless without pics (at the car wash)
    I made darn sure nobody saw that one.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Soap. Hmmm. I was so busy thinking of oil based cleaners I just did not think of strong soapy things.

So I went out in my Garage and found some "Oil Eater" soapy cleaner. It's a concentrate from Costco, and is advertised as a engine cleaner when used at full strength. I borrowed a small spray bottle from my wife, and after two spray/rinse cycles - and a half used up toothbrush, I found that the engine was 98% clean. And that hard to clean oily dirt on the bottom front was gone also. So was the mess around the spark plugs.

Wow, it looks better than it has in 28 years!

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by TomE View Post
        Thanks for all the suggestions. Soap. Hmmm. I was so busy thinking of oil based cleaners I just did not think of strong soapy things.

So I went out in my Garage and found some "Oil Eater" soapy cleaner. It's a concentrate from Costco, and is advertised as a engine cleaner when used at full strength. I borrowed a small spray bottle from my wife, and after two spray/rinse cycles - and a half used up toothbrush, I found that the engine was 98% clean. And that hard to clean oily dirt on the bottom front was gone also. So was the mess around the spark plugs.

Wow, it looks better than it has in 28 years!

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Word of warning, I used Purple Power with 50:50 mix of water in a spray bottle to degrease my engine. I breathed in some of the mist and got a sinuse infection (still got it).

Toxic poising can't kill it. Hoping i dont have to get anti-biotics to kill it.

Comment

Working...
        X