Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head is painted, how do I remove paint from fin edges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics, we need pics. Unless I see pics I will figure it is a figment of your imagination. Or maybe a GPZ shaftie?
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
      Pics, we need pics. Unless I see pics I will figure it is a figment of your imagination. Or maybe a GPZ shaftie?
      If you insist:

Before I started working on the bike:

After I have done most of the improvements:

The last one is an actual pic of the GPz prior to going under the knife.

Comment

Try using a piece of sandpaper 8 x10 (your choice grit really depends on how much to be removed) tape or staple it to a piece of 3/4 good one side plywood...yes use the good side.....viola you got a big "file" and easier to create a flat surface if needed you can make it smaller and even cut handles into the plywood. Be sure to secure the head a woodworking vice works very well with wood in the jaws to protect the head. You could too finish with wet paper around 400 grit and a little oil it'll be a very smooth matte surface.This should give you a great result! I use a similar technique on gasket surfaces on a surface table shows up where you put the screwdriver (pry bar).....not that you used one!!

Randy

Comment

I used a Dremel tool with an 80-grit flapper wheel. This is an '82 Honda FT500 Ascot head.

I had bead-blasted the original black paint off, then used the dremel wheel first to make the fin edges smooth and 'brushed'. Then painted head using rattle-can high-heat engine paint in semi-gloss black. Then, hit again with the Dremel tool. If you keep a steady hand, and a fairly low speed on the tool, it works great.

Kirk

Comment

Update

Using ideas from members, I finally came up with a solution. Most did not work for this head, so I set it aside while I took care of other things. Today, I was at the hardware store staring at the sandpaper wall. The wetordry paper was too fine, only going down to 220 grit. I kept looking at the wall, trying to find something in the 80 grit arena. I spied some round ones that looked familiar. I went home and searched through my power tool boxes (I try to always get a boxed unit so I can keep them organized without cords all over the place). Sure enough, I came across a Ryobi Orbital sander I had purchased years ago to sand a counter top prior to painting. I purchased a pack of 80 and 120 grit and went to town.

As I carefully ground down the paint trying to even everything out, I discovered that the casting was very uneven, not only on each individual fin but as a set of fins. I ended up actually filing metal off the head. I used the 80 grit for the rough work, then moved to the 120 grit to get the small cavities ground down.
            This is the result of just the orbital work:

All of the palamino pits are gone. I am now in the process of using the wetordry on a sanding block to polish it smooth and get rid of the grooves left by the orbital sander. Results with the 220 are looking good, and I'll then move to 600 and finally 1500 to get the mirror finish I want.

I want to thank everyone who contributed their ideas for getting me through this issue.

p.s. I'm single, so I am allowed to do this kind of work in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              All of the palamino pits are gone. I am now in the process of using the wetordry on a sanding block to polish it smooth and get rid of the grooves left by the orbital sander. Results with the 220 are looking good, and I'll then move to 600 and finally 1500 to get the mirror finish I want.

I want to thank everyone who contributed their ideas for getting me through this issue.

p.s. I'm single, so I am allowed to do this kind of work in the kitchen.
              What better place, once you done just pop the head into the Dish washer.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                What better place, once you done just pop the head into the Dish washer.
                Why not, it's already been in the oven. Along with the cylinder block, valve cover, and various and sundry GS and Firebird parts. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Why not, it's already been in the oven. Along with the cylinder block, valve cover, and various and sundry GS and Firebird parts. Seriously.
                  Ah, to be single again

Comment

Working...
                  X