Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Paint off of Aluminum

Hey guys I have another question.

The GS 550 I picked up this weekend needs some major attention in the appearance department. I'm waiting on parts so I want to try to clean it up...

Here is the story: It looks like some took a silvery metallic paint and just went to town painting everything! The engine and everything has this crappy looking paint on it. We sprayed the bike yesterday at a car wash and some of the paint came off, but most is still there.

Is there a product that get take this crappy paint off but not destroy the aluminum? I'm not looking to use aircraft paint stripper.

Thanks in advanced

Originally posted by kparrott View Post
    Is there a product that get take this crappy paint off but not destroy the aluminum? I'm not looking to use aircraft paint stripper.
    Umm.... why not? It works great, IMHO.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure any paint stripper will work and not destroy the aluminum. Well, unless you leave it on for hours and hours. But otherwise, you should be OK. And, of course, it isn't going to leave the aluminum bright and shiny. You only get THAT with hard work...

Comment

Originally posted by kparrott View Post
      Hey guys I have another question.

The GS 550 I picked up this weekend needs some major attention in the appearance department. I'm waiting on parts so I want to try to clean it up...

Here is the story: It looks like some took a silvery metallic paint and just went to town painting everything! The engine and everything has this crappy looking paint on it. We sprayed the bike yesterday at a car wash and some of the paint came off, but most is still there.

Thanks in advanced
      I know you said you didnt want to do it, but two words: AIRCRAFT STRIPPER. It wont harm the alu, and it will take that crappy paint off RIGHT NOW. You can even get it in a brush on style if youre afraid of overspray from a can hurting your frame paint or something..

Other option is carb cleaner... that stuff will eat paint too..

Comment

Other option is carb cleaner... that stuff will eat paint too..[/QUOTE]

Dont forget about brake fluid. Seriously though aircraft stripper is the shizznit.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

+1 on the paint stripper, just stripped the Suzuki factory coating off mine recently.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

would paint thinner or aircraft stripper be better to get the old clear coat junk off the side covers so they can be polished up?
            ---Eric

Comment

Aircraft stripper. Paint thinner won't do a thing to that clear coat but stink up your fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X