Removing front blinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing front blinkers

I want to remove my front blinkers, but keep the back ones in working order. Does anyone know what to do with the front blinker wires to achieve this? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Get yourself an off-the-shelf electronic signal flasher to replace the stock unit. Then just leave the front turn signal wires unconnected in the headlight bucket.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What is the purpose of the flasher? Where does it go? thanks for all the info on your site by the way.

Comment

When I remove the front signals, and hit the blinker switch, the corresponding rear blinker stays lit, and does not blink?

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
          When I remove the front signals, and hit the blinker switch, the corresponding rear blinker stays lit, and does not blink?
          That's because the stock flasher unit wants to see a specific load. When you remove 2 bulbs it no longer sees the proper load (resistance). That's why you need an electronic flasher. It doesn't care about the load, it just flashes.

See the Turn Signal Relay Replacement guide on my website for ideas.

BassCliff

Comment

What is the purpose of the flasher?
            really????

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
              really????
              i think he's referring to the flasher unit basscliff suggested he replace the stock unit with...not the actual bulb itself...lol
              Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

So, why do you want to remove the front signals? Isn't there a legal issue with this?
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  That's because the stock flasher unit wants to see a specific load. When you remove 2 bulbs it no longer sees the proper load (resistance). That's why you need an electronic flasher. It doesn't care about the load, it just flashes.

See the Turn Signal Relay Replacement guide on my website for ideas.

BassCliff
                  Perfect. Will pursue this. I love when I can fix a problem as well as understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    So, why do you want to remove the front signals? Isn't there a legal issue with this?
                    Like the way it looks. Im not sure about the legality of it.

Comment

Like the way it looks. Im not sure about the legality of it.
                      Safety has no factor in this decision then? Keep those cagers guessing......and other bikers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                        Safety has no factor in this decision then? Keep those cagers guessing......and other bikers as well.
                        Never. I use hand signals. I just want the rear blinkers to function for resale someday

Comment

to pass inspection is up to your state, but if you use hand signals the police can not stop or ticket you for having blinkers not working or non existant.

Comment

Maine's laws are such that if the vehicle came new with blinkers then it must still have them.

Comment

To each his/her own I guess. But, I want to do all that I can to make sure people see me.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                              X