Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting ready to paint, have some questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting ready to paint, have some questions..

Tank stripped down to metal, filled a couple of dents.
    1. What grit sandpaper to use before etch primer? Wet or dry?
    2. Sand etch primer before applying regular primer? What grit? Wet or dry?
    3. What grit for sanding primer before paint?

Other body pieces have fresh paint (about a year old) on them.
    1. What grit paper to use to prep them for primer? Wet or dry?

And finally, I'll be using one stage urethane paint... I've read that I should apply 3 coats but how long do I need to wait between applying the coats? I'll probably clear the paint after I apply some decals. I understand I would need to wet sand the paint before I clear it. What grit size?

Thank you,

Raz

Each paint system is slightly different so the details matter. Not trying to dodge but if you look up the product data sheets for the exact paint materials you are planning to use there will be instructions as to what to do in terms of sandpaper grits and so forth.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

this video from duplicolor should give you the info you need...helped me alot

Comment

1. 320
        2.put ech on then prime wait 15 min between coats. etch is so the primer will stick to the metal( other words etch etches into the bare metal then the primer will adhere to the etch)
        for other body pieces use 1000grit wet or i use a red scotch bright
        yes 3 coats of paint 15 min between coats if its hot 10 min.
        if ur gonna clear it why not use a base clear set up. u can base it let it sit for 30 min apply decals or stickers then clear. only bad thing with putting clear over single stage it when ya sand it (use 2500 grit or 3000) there is a posibility of seeing the scratches in the base thro the clear before u do the base coat put a sealer on first wait 10-15min then apply ur color coat with the same wait times

good luck hope this helped
        Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazypaint View Post
          1. 320
          2.put ech on then prime wait 15 min between coats. etch is so the primer will stick to the metal( other words etch etches into the bare metal then the primer will adhere to the etch)
          for other body pieces use 1000grit wet or i use a red scotch bright
          yes 3 coats of paint 15 min between coats if its hot 10 min.
          if ur gonna clear it why not use a base clear set up. u can base it let it sit for 30 min apply decals or stickers then clear. only bad thing with putting clear over single stage it when ya sand it (use 2500 grit or 3000) there is a posibility of seeing the scratches in the base thro the clear

good luck hope this helped
          Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I wanted to use BC/CC but the only paint supply store around here only sells in bulk which would inflate the price too much for me. Actually, it was the same with the one stage if I wanted to shoot it myself with a gun - very frustrating that I can buy a quart of paint but I can only buy the reducer in a gallon!! So I bought a couple of cans of custom urethane color along with some etch primer, primer and a can of clear and I'll try it this way. The bike is to be ridden anyway not a show piece full resto.

Comment

sweet thats what i figured just dont forget the sealer

Comment

I'll have to pick up some. The guy at the store never mentioned I needed it.

Comment

it helps so the paint dosent bite into the primer and cause bad things to happen lol. its more of a insurance for a no problem paint job and it comes out smoother

Comment

Paint is down and I'm happy to report that I managed to have no runs anywhere!! Now what? Do I wet sand with 2000 grit and polish with compound?

Comment

Working...
                  X